11 | Fateful

Ominous clouds raced overhead, concealing the sun. The wind hissed, hooted and whistled. From afar, thunder rumbled like a herd of bulls stampeding. I waited for the inevitable downpour to cut off the conversation about to take place with my mother.

     Juliet was dismissed from the table, leaving my mother and I alone. She prepared to give me an explanation for what my father said, one I was not ready for. I hoped and prayed to the rain gods across all beliefs for it to rain and interrupt this confrontation, but the sky only teased, so my mother kept me outside until she was done.

     According to her, the Oakwoods moved in not long after she and Mr. Baker did. The two families quickly became friends, sharing holidays together and inviting the other couple onto trips.

     Mr. Oakwood was especially close to my mother. She looked to him at her lowest points—he, apparently, understood more than Mr. Baker. Soon enough, Mr. Oakwood and my mother made private brunch dates. In the event that Mr. Baker returned home late, mother was in the company of Mr. Oakwood, whether at our house or his.

     The relationship became romantic all too soon. In just four months, mother succumbed to infidelity. Mr. Baker had a company retreat to Florida and was due to return in a week. Because of the severe weather, his flight home was delayed. Mother took advantage of that, getting much closer to her neighbor than she should have. That was when I was conceived, and she swore to herself never to forget the night she felt true love.

     Knowing she was in trouble, my mother made sure she was intimate with Mr Baker before her stomach protruded. That way, her pregnancy was no unpleasant surprise.

     The fateful night was kept between her and Mr. Oakwood. Life went on normally; my mother was even able to be in the same room with Mr. Oakwood and not feel uncomfortable. Private outings had been canceled. The two families saw less of each other. Lydia was born in the months following my birth. Juliet surprised us all two years after. Our family was complete and content. All it took was a misunderstanding to unearth the secret.

     Although our two families were together less frequently, we still shared some time together. After all, they were the only family in the neighborhood my mother deemed as 'good enough' to be around us. A celebratory dinner was held in honor of Lydia earning a place in the region's prestigious ballet troupe. We arrived to find a photographer capturing Lydia with her new uniform on the front lawn. The man looked up from the camera to greet us. When he saw me, he suggested that I take a photo with Lydia, insisting that he two sisters would look absolutely lovely in that light.

     Mrs. Oakwood assured him that we were not related, though he could have sworn we were siblings. The photographer did not let it go until he was told to. Our parents were able to joke about it during the dinner: it was impossible; we were polar opposites; the man must be out of his mind. At our own home, though, Mr. Baker thoroughly questioned my mother about it until she burst. Juliet and I had long gone to sleep when the two of them broke out into an argument. She confessed about the affair, as well as there being the possibility of me being Mr. Oakwood's daughter. All of his love for me was drained by that.

     I failed to notice the tears rolling down my cheeks. One drop stung the wound on my chin, making me reach for my face.

     "Believe me when I say I'm sorry, Colleen. I never meant to hurt you or your father," said my mother brittley.

     I swiped my sleeve across my eyes. "Don't...just don't."

     I rushed into the house and to my bedroom, slamming the door behind me. As if on cue, my phone buzzed continuously. I answered it to hear Ximena apologizing for calling me. I cut her off mid-sentence: "Ximena, its okay. Actually, I'm glad to hear you," my voice wobbled, "because I could really use a friend." And I started bawling.