Chatpter Eleven - The Sad Story

"His dad called?" Rhiannon asked loudly.

   We were shopping, which we hadn't done in a long time. Meeting up with her gave me the opportunity to catch her up on everything that she had missed since the party. Apparently, after I had practically ditched her at the party, she managed to find a guy to take her home as well, so she didn't mind at all.

   "Yeah, worst timing ever," I sighed.

   "Well then what?" she questioned.

   "He didn't even answer it. He just cancelled the call and that was the end of our day. We went back home, he went straight up to his room without a word and I didn't see him for the rest of the night," I explained.

   "Wow. What's the deal? Did he ever mention his dad before?" she said softly.

   "Never, and I have a feeling he isn't going to anytime soon either," I mentioned.

   "Okay, so clearly there's a family problem here," Rhi stated.

   "Gee, if only I had thought of that," I said with sarcasm clear in my voice.

   We walked into Forever 21, my favourite store, as we continued the conversation.

   "So are you going to ask him?" she asked, skimming through a sales rack.

   "And say what? 'Colton, I noticed you ignored your dad's call, it none of my business, but why? Just curious.'" I mocked in annoyance.

   Rhi, glared at me but continued to rummage through clothing.

   "Okay so if you don't ask him, find out yourself without asking. Like maybe when he's out you could go through his computer or-" she was cut off.

   "Snoop through Colton's personal belongings!?" I said in shock. "Nuh-uh, not an option, what if he catches me. You know I was never cut out to be a spy."

   "You could ask Alison," she suggested.

   "That's still prying through his life. It's just as bad," I stated.

   "You're too, goody-goody. Come on, loosen up and live a little. Just ask Alison," she encouraged.

   "I don't know, I'll think about it, but I probably won't," I explained.

   "Okay and in the mean time, try on this top!" she chirped, handing me a purple halter top with a simple flower design.

   "Colton is going to love that on you!"

               -§-

   By the end of our shopping trip, Rhi had convinced me to buy a bunch of different clothes that she said, 'Colton would love'.

   I couldn't believe I had let her talk me into spending a ridiculous amount of money on all of it.

   In the parking lot we found Rhi's car and soon we were on our way back to Colt- my house. She said she wanted to come over to help me unpack but I knew she just wanted to run into Colton.

   The door was unlocked when we arrived, someone had to be home and I was hoping for Colton. Beside me, Rhi was shocked. Her mouth hung open and her eyes were wide.

   I laughed. "I made the same face when I first walked in here too," I told her.

   She was scanning the area in amazement. I skipped up the stairs, Rhi following right behind me.

   Looking down the hallway I saw Colton's door was closed. I sighed. He hadn't come out since I watched him run in, slamming the door behind him yesterday.

   In my room boxes were still full and piled in the back of the room. I hadn't bothered to unpack much yet. Colton had encouraged me to unpack and even offered to help before, but I guess I didn't like the idea of officially moving in, away from home.

   "I don't understand why you didn't want to move in. I mean this room, this house, is ten times bigger than before and now you have a hot piece of ass down the hall. Bonus! At least I hope he's hot, I don't remember what he looks like. In fact I don't remember very much from that night," she ranted.

   I just nodded with an "Uh-huh," not listening to her as I unpacked.

   "Your not listening, are you?" she asked, annoyed.

   "Not at all," I admitted.

   She just rolled her eyes at me and started to unpack as well.

               -§-

   We were into another, lighter, conversation when I herd someone come in downstairs.

   "Hold that thought, I'll be right back," I said, interrupting Rhi and fleeing the room.

   In the kitchen, Alison was unloading grocery bags.

   "Krissy!" she chirped as she spotted me.

   "Hi, Alison. How was your day?" I asked, being polite.

   "Fantastic. How did shopping go?" she asked.

   "Great, I bought lots and now Rhiannon is here helping me unpack," I explained. "I hope that's okay, her being here."

   "Oh course, Hun, any friend of yours is welcome," she said.

   She was cheerful one minute then the next her face dropped. She looked at me sadly.

   "How is he?" she asked, referring to Colton.

   "I don't know, I think he's still in his room. I haven't seen him at all," I confessed.

   "He'll come around. What exactly happened, anyway?" she asked, concerned.

   "Well we were playing baseball and then later on he got a call," I started, leaving out as much detail on purpose. I wasn't lying but then again I wasn't telling the full truth either.

   "Who called?" she questioned.

   "He told me it was his dad," I said. Alison stiffened beside me. "He didn't answer the phone, we just left. And you know the rest."

   "His dad called?" she said, nervously.

   I nodded, confused. Alison didn't speak but continued to unpack the groceries, silently.

   "Alison? What does that mean?" I asked, not sure if I should have.

   That was it. I was prying into Colton's life. Something I said I wouldn't do. But I just needed to know.

   She sighed again before taking a seat on a counter stool. She patted the one beside her for me to take. She looked at me with sad eyes as I sat next to her.

   "Okay Krissy, I am going to be honest with you because it's only fair for you to know, with you staying here and becoming family," as she said this I felt even more guilty but I just nodded.

   "Colton's father was abusive. He would drink when he wanted and it caused him to become overly angry," she paused.

   "When I would come home from work, I would find Colton with a cut on the lip or black eye and Robert would smell strongly of alcohol," she continued.

   "Wow. I didn't know that," I said speechless.

   '"Well I didn't expect you to, dear," she said, trying to sound sincere.

   "So Colton doesn't like his dad?" I asked. But of course it was a stupid question.

   "Colton hates him. He convinced me to get a restraining order against Robert. Now Robert cannot come in any contact with me, Colton or the house. Including phone calls or texts.." she trailed off.

   I was about to ask her more but I decided against it when i herd footsteps coming downstairs. Colton appeared in the door frame of the kitchen and I swear my heart skipped a beat to see him.

   "Sorry to interrupt. Krissy, could I talk to you upstairs for a minute?" he asked, although it sounded more like an order.

  I slowly nodded and gave Alison an apologetic smile before I followed Colton upstairs. And he did not look pleased.