Chapter 2 - First Day of School

I woke up at 7:40 am Monday morning because I forgot to set my alarm on my iPhone, and immediately, my living nightmare had begun. Since I woke up nearly an hour late, I didn't get to my bus stop on time. I got there as soon as the bus closed its doors. I looked through the glass doors with pleading eyes, and I knew the bus driver saw me there because he returned my gaze with eyes of fury as he shifted the bus into drive and sped away. He had a personal vendetta against me and wanted to see me suffer.

I looked around desperately, scanning the neighborhood for a good samaritan that could potentially give me a ride to school. Neither of my parents made it home all week, and Kayla was already gone on her alpaca. My heart sank to my stomach when my eyes met with those of Felix, his cold blue eyes burning holes into my soul and a smirk fixed in his lips, his pale Swedish man hands resting on his car, one on the driver's door handle and the other one just under the window. I could hear him chuckled as he opened his car door. "Need a ride, Donaldson?" he asked mockingly.

I should have turned away and ignored him, but I really needed to get to school. My dad would kill me if I was tardy, or worse, didn't show up at all. I swallowed my pride and answered, "Yes, I do."

To my surprise, Felix said, "Get in, then." He gestured to the passenger's side before getting in the car. I dragged my feet as I trudged along his concrete driveway and stopped in front of the passenger door. I peered into the window, watching him carefully, ready for him to drive off the second I opened the door to get in, but he was staring back at me expectantly.

I opened the door and climbed into the passenger's seat. I was surprised Felix didn't try anything, but I was even more shocked by his kind gesture. I knew something bad was going to happen eventually, though. I knew he was going to do something to me. It was inevitable. I shouldn't have gotten into his car because who knew what would happen, but I was so desperate, I couldn't resist the offer even though I knew Felix would somehow make me miserable. "Thank you," I thanked him. Even though this was bound by fate to go terribly wrong, I still felt the need to express my gratitude. "I really appreciate this." Maybe if I was nice to him, he would be nice to me. That was a little too much to hope for, but could it really hurt to try?

"Of course," he replied. His remark sounded somewhat shady. "It's no problem." He pulled out of his driveway and started driving down the road. 

"My dad will kill me if I'm late to school," I said without thinking. I exposed too much information. Felix didn't know much about my parents; nobody really did. He only caught glimpses of them every now and then, and rarely were they ever not in some sort of disguise. He didn't know what they really looked like or what they were like, but I felt like letting that slip gave him enough to use against me.

"Is that right?" Felix asked to confirm. "Nobody cares if I'm late to school."

In a weird way, I felt kind of bad for him. It seemed like nobody cared enough about him to ensure that he had a proper education so he could make something of himself in the future should something ever happen to his career on YouTube... like a couple of Wall Street Journal articles calling him a Nazi. MY father taught me the importance of learning and education and showed me how to absorb knowledge as if I were a big sponge of knowledge. I did not retain that knowledge he gave me, however, because I was too busy playing Minecraft. I kept it in the back of my mind, but I only applied it to some things. But my point still stands: at least my father cared enough about me to want me to be successful in the future. I didn't think Felix had that. "Why is that?" 

Felix took his eyes off the road for a moment to look at me. He seemed genuinely perplexed, as if nobody cared to ask him that sort of question before now. He squirmed in his seat before straightening his posture and returning his gaze to the road. "They sort of expect it. They kinda have to with my condition."