Chapter Sixteen - Star Crossed Lovers

Walking through the field of rye has been the most peaceful part of the games thus far. Jonathan thought that the addition of Evan by his side really solidified that fact. Jon had awoken that morning before everyone else, and Evan woke up minutes later. Once the other half of the alliance woke up, Jon and Evan set out to find where other tributes were located.

"Did you even see this paddock here at the start of the games?" Evan asked, voice low and rough. The raspiness sent a chill up Jon's spine that he tried to ignore.

"No, I thought it was just all forest. Can't believe they'd even bother including this in the arena," Jon answered, "especially when it all looks dry as shit. Who would stay out here when all your basic necessities are in the forest parts?"

"No clue," Evan replied with a small laugh. Jon stopped in his tracks. There was...something on the ground in front of him. A stick that was far too perfectly crafted to be merely coincidental. It was a spear. But what was a spear doing lying by itself in the most remote part of the arena?

No sooner had the thought crossed Jonathan's mind, a man leaped out from an opening in the ground. He raced through the grass towards the District 1 tributes. Jon barely had time to come up with a plan before he was tackled to the ground.

The man's deranged grimace was surrounded by stubble that had grown out over the passing days. Jon vaguely recognised him as the man's dirt covered hands closed around his neck. He gasped before his airways were forced closed.

Evan sprung into action, ripping the man back by the shoulders and effectively allowing Jon to breath again. As his vision returned from the black spots, his name came to him. Adam from District 6.

"Evan-" Jon spoke, his voice rough from the abuse, "I want to do it." Evan looked to Jon from where he had Adam pinned effortlessly to the ground. He nodded and Jon shuffled from the ground to Adam's side.

He thrashed around as Jon mounted his chest, legs either side of his ribcage, but Evan kept his arms pinned above his head.

"How about a bit of a taste of your own medicine?" Jon taunted. He wrapped his hands around Adam's neck and leaned into it until he was putting as much force as possible onto his throat.

He was unconscious after a minute. Dead after two.

The cannon sounded.

Jon got up off Adam, leaving his corpse behind, and Evan let go on his wrists. Once they were back on their feet, Evan was by his side in an instant, enveloping him in a tight hug.

"Are you ok? Can you breath fine? Oh my god, I don't know what I would have done if I lost you just then-" he babbled.

"Evan! I'm fine, it's going to be ok," Jon cooed, sinking into Evan's warm chest. He relished in the feeling for as long as possible before the contact was cut off, having to settle for "best friends" rather than "lovers".

"I didn't even know there were any caves in the arena," Evan said absentmindedly, eyeing the hole in the ground.

"Let's leave, the choppers are coming," Jon urged. He pulled Evan away from the scene by his wrist.

***

"Why didn't you want Bryce with us?" Luke asked. His voice was grating on Ryan's ears, but he was the only one left who could begin to compare to Ryan's own strengths.

"Didn't I already fucking tell you?" Ryan growled. "He's staying back to watch our stuff, I thought we both knew that he's too weak to help us around the arena."

Luke huffed from behind Ryan. That alone would have been enough to send Ryan into a rage and kill the other tribute, but he was too valuable. Ryan could survive by himself, but it was Luke's company he enjoyed. It was a different type of company than Bryce's.