Hunting for monsters.

Her very first actual day came around the corner and (Y/n) was more than ready for it. After a small breakfast she hurried to the Mystery Shack, the place that she would be working at for the next couple of months.
Even from the outside the place just screamed "tourist trap," however the atmosphere in there was quiet nice. The foreign customers with their problems, the loud noises of children screaming and messing around.
Quite nice, indeed.

"I am going to freak out if one more customer asks me about the bus plans. I don't even know them myself, how am I supposed to explain it to someone else?"

"Don't worry dude, you'll get the hang of it sooner or later," Soos, the owner of the Mystery Shack as well as her co-worker, reassured her while counting some of the changes. (Y/n) sighed deeply and leaned herself against the wooden counter, waiting for yet another task to come her way.
Working at a strange place like a tourist trap certainly was a new experience for the girl. Especially at a place like the Mystery Shack with it's weird, fake monster statues and other merchandise. It was rather surprising how popular it was despite everything being obviously fake.

Apart from that, working with tourists was also a thing that she had never done before. It just made her realise once again how exhausting humans could be and how much of a nuisance children were. (Y/n) always had to remember to keep a smile on her lips and be kind with the customers, even when they pushed her to the verge of insanity sometimes.
Fortunately she had Soos. A 29-years old man who she didn't expect to be as innocent and child-like as he really was. At first sight one wouldn't even expect him to be the owner of such a popular place. Or the owner of anything, to be honest.
At work he wore an all dark suit, an eyepatch and a red fez with a weird, golden symbol on it that kind of resembled a fish. She asked him what the meaning of it was, but he just shrugged his shoulders in response.
However, Soos was a very kind man. His humour never failed to improve her mood just the tiniest bit. She quickly grew fond of him and was glad to have a man like him as her very first boss. He definitely wouldn't be too harsh on her.

"Say, how did you manage to turn the Mystery Shack into such a popular attraction?"

"Oh, I didn't do that, kiddo. I became the owner, uhm - four years ago. Stanley Pines founded the Shack and made it so popular," he said with a big smile, proudly exclaiming how much of an honour it was for him to be the leader now.

"I see. And where is Mr.Pines now?"

"He went on this huge trip with his brother. They came back a few months ago and live a very chill life now."
(Y/n) chuckled quietly, turning around to properly face Soos and leaning her elbows onto the counter. She hummed while thinking of yet another question.
It was close to lunch time and there weren't a lot of customers, and since (Y/n) was new in town, Soos offered to answer some of her questions. A lot of the answers didn't really help to expand her knowledge, however she did appreciate the effort and the willingness.

"Who can I go monster hunting with?"

"Definitely Wendy. She's an amazing dude. She also works here, but she's on vacation right now. Then - Oh, Dipper and Mabel Pines! Mr.Pines is their Great Uncle and they always visit during their summer vacations. You totally have to meet them, dude."
The girl nodded, noting to look out for a Dipper and Mabel Pines, even though she had the feeling that she was going to meet them one way or another. Soos would definitely introduce her to them.
Just then, the alarm on her phone went off, signalising the end of her shift for that day. With a cheerful smile she silenced the tone.

"Speaking of which, it's time to go on a monster hunt!"

"Have fun, dude. Be careful not to get lost and don't do anything risky or dangerous, though!"

"Who are you? My mother?" (Y/n) asked with a chuckle before giving Soos a high-five, wishing him good luck with the customers for the rest of the day. Afterwards she left the Shack and went straight into the forest without a second thought and completely ignoring the fact that she actually still had to eat something.

"I'll just grab a pizza on my way home."

With the help of her phone she made sure to take a lot of pictures of all kinds of beautiful flowers and squirrels she saw during her 'monster hunt'.
The only thing that kept disappointing her was the lack of abnormal things.
No monsters, no supernatural occurrences. Nothing. The 'hunt' was like a normal walk through the forest that she hadn't done in ages. It was nice and something different from her usual routine, but it still wasn't as exciting as she'd hoped.
At one point she decided to sit down on a rock and take a small break. Her stomach wouldn't leave her alone, so she had to eat one of the sandwiches her mom made her to satisfy her hunger. Every bite made it smaller, made the last food she had brought with her from home disappear. Somehow, it was a tad bit sad.
Things in general were a bit sad. She really wanted the first day in Gravity Falls to be one of the most amazing and memorable ones, but sometimes the universe just had other plans for her. And right then and there the universe decided to be as normal as it got and deny the existence of supernatural things. Again.

After finishing her sandwich, (Y/n) thought it was for the best to put an end to her 'monster hunt' and return home. It wouldn't be easy to find her way back since she didn't really pay attention to where she was heading to, however the small bit of confidence in her assured her that it would work out somehow.
But it didn't.

"Have I been walking in circles this entire time?" She asked nobody in particular when she came across the stone that gave her company during her small lunch break yet again.
Deciding to just ignore it and keep going, she soon discovered a part of the forest that she hadn't seen before. There were a lot of brown and green leaves on the ground as well as broken sticks from trees that looked equally broken. The tree trunks were damaged and ripped apart as if some kind of gigantic monster stole half of the tree. Most of them were starting to grow again, but others didn't even have a chance anymore.
With raised eyebrows and careful steps she progressed, waiting for something to jump out of a bush and attack her. She was fortunate enough to not meet a gigantic monster that might have caused havoc in that part of the forest. However she did find something that was quiet interesting to her.

After walking a bit further, she stumbled upon a small statue made out of stone that was seemingly stuck in the ground. It had a triangular shape, wore a top hat and stretched it's hand out towards someone. Or something.
Her mouth was agape, hands lightly shaking as she reached for her phone to take some pictures of it.

"Finally something interesting. I do hope that you're not some kind of fake thing that was placed here in the middle of nowhere just for fun," (Y/n) mumbled to herself, touching the stone's eye to see if the statue was made out of actual stone. Surprisingly, it was.

"This is so weird. Why would anyone create a thing like this and place it here?"

(Y/n) sat down on the ground in front of the thing, looking into it's eye as if expecting it to blink or do something else in response. She quickly realised it was a waste of time and rolled her eyes in annoyance, focusing on it's outstretched hand instead. With a chuckle she stood up again and took it's hand without hesitating, a shiver running down her spine as her skin made contact with the cold stone again.

"And? Are you satisfied now?"

Once again she chuckled, then she let go of it's hand and turned around to leave. There were still some things she had to take care of, and she definitely couldn't spend the rest of the day in front of a creepy stone thingy that wasn't going to react to her actions anyways. Again it was quite disappointing, but how crazy would it have been if the statue shook her hand in return or intertwined their fingers or anything like that?

Perhaps the statue was just another attraction of the Mystery Shack. It would definitely be popular with the kids.