Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two
Quinn

        “How are we meant to find this supposed seer?” Quinn asks Lysandra. His gaze lingers on her back as she walks ahead of both him and Daneth. She gives him no answer, to which his gaze turns into a hardened glare.

        He wants to grab her by the neck and shake her until she confesses why she is acting so strangely. He feels incredible remorse for killing the boy’s father, but Lysandra must understand that he was entirely out of control. The spell that vile Vera had put him under had broken his mind; sent him into a downward spiral of maddened love for a woman who wielded equal insanity. It was not his fault.

        If only Lysandra could see that.

        Still, she played a part in the father’s death – not just Quinn. He couldn’t place his finger on it at first; he had absolutely no idea as to the reason for her frustration towards him. The father was a casualty – nothing unusual to Lysandra’s eyes. Quinn couldn’t understand why she felt so strongly about the man’s death when he realized – she had grown emotionally attached to him.

        Valsea was a world where emotions were abandoned and Lysandra was a Warrior; nothing else. She knew only to protect and serve her goddess and Quinn knew only to abide by the oath he had sworn. Then the world they all knew crumbled and their goddess was dead – and they fled. They fled to a world where emotions existed and were never suppressed; of course Lysandra would become overwhelmed by it. Of course she would succumb to it.

        Quinn had already experienced his emotions in Procratus before Penella brought him to Valsea, and so returning to his home planet held no surprise for him. I was a fool, he thinks. I should have told her about it all. Instead I let myself be kidnapped by that woman.

        He is trying to give Lysandra the time she needs to take hold of her emotions, however time has spread thin and another one of Norun’s rogues will find them again. They need to strike now and with this new group of supernatural beings – if they will help them.

        First, however, he must make amends.

        “Ly—Warrior,” he corrects himself at the sight of her warning glare. “Do you have any kind of plan to find this woman?”

        She turns her back to him while keeping silent once more, but this time she runs a hand through her hair lengthy dark hair; a sign that she is thinking. “Quinn…” she trails off, and for a slight moment Quinn hopes that she is beginning to forgive him for what he had done. “I truly don’t know how to find her.”

        The dejection in her voice is not hard to miss. Quinn opens his mouth to speak, but the young boy catches their attention first. “Can we find something to eat first?” Daneth asks, “I’m really hungry.”

        “It could be poisonous to you,” Lysandra reminds him, to which he shakes his head.

        “I’m starving. I’ll just take a small bite and if I don’t die then that is probably a good sign!” he pleads, pouting his lips.

        Lysandra stares at him with a blank face, but Quinn can see something flicker behind the luminous depths of her eyes. After a moment of silence, she finally agrees. “We have no money to pay for anything, though.”

        Daneth’s answer comes quickly, “I know how to get money. My dad taught me how to steal a long time ago and that man back there must have some.” He gestures to the man behind the rolling stand.