Chapter 24

“Harley! You can’t just go out!”

“Why not?” Harley ruffled his hair, sending it in different directions. I waved a hand at his attire; a striped t-shirt, jeans, red high-tops and a dark trench coat would not sit well in 1890.

“Because it’s broad daylight out there and it’s a busy street.” I crossed my arms.

“There’s shadows to lurk in,” Harley huffed, taking the same stance.

“We’ve got three blocks to cover,” I reminded him.

“Ever gone roof hopping?” he asked with a grin.

I mirrored him for a few moments before complying. “If we get caught I’m not getting you out of it.”

“No problem,” Harley insisted. He started towards the front door, but I caught him by his sleeve. “What?”

“Back door,” I pointed out. Harley nodded.

Within the first two weeks of having Harley around, this was the third time we had been left alone. Bored, I decided I’d take Harley to see a little shop run by a man who hid a third eye with his hair. I’d become a regular; going into a place where I didn’t have to arrive in appropriate Victorian outfit was preferable.

“Careful it’s - ” I started as we stepped outside.

Harley immediately slipped on a patch of ice, cursing loudly as he hit the ground. “ - icy,” I added between giggles.

"Shut up," Harley grumbled, lifting himself up. "Which way are we going?" I pointed down the road. "Goddamned ice," he grumbled.

+++++

"There's no way that's human."

Harley held up a small candy that glowed slightly on the outside and in the center.

"Did you not expect me to take you to an alien sweet shop?" I pushed his hand down. "You might not want that one."

"But it looks cool."

"Might not be so cool when it reduces your tongue to cinders." He pulled a face a threw the candy down.

“How about these ones?” Harley held up a round yellow candy with a bright green center.

“You can try them if you want…” I hid a smirk; Harley had chosen the kind that were claimed to be the most sour in the universe. I picked a handful of strawberry-flavored ones.

“Hello, Hugo,” I greeted the man behind the counter. He was tall and burly; only if you looked closely could you tell he had an extra eye on his forehead, between the two normally-placed ones.

“‘Ello, Miss Pond. Where’s the rest of the gang?” Hugo slid the candies into a small paper bag. “And who’s the new kid?”

“Harley. He still hasn’t had his first case - I’m hoping it’ll be something to do with Mr. Turnes. He’s been suspicious lately, with all the night shifts. Madame Vastra’s visiting him today, I think.”

Hugo nodded with a grin. “You haven’t warned him about the Biting Lemons, ‘ave you?”

“Of course not.” I smirked and took the bag, stowing it in my pocket. “C’mon, Harley, I’ve still got a few things to show you.”

+++++

“Does it really?”

“Yep. You can lose years with a bite. Strax’s lost days from single touches. He thinks he’s too good for the gauntlets.”