Chapter 1

I plucked a paperback book off the shelf, flipping it around to read the summary on the back before reading the title. It was pretty thick; 485 pages weighed down my hands. I scanned the title -- City of Bones by Cassandra Clare -- and nodded slightly at it. I had heard good things about it, so I decided to give it a go.

I slumped into the pukey-green coloured armchair wedged into the corner of the living room. Despite living here, in Rebecca and Jason's house, for two and a half weeks, I still couldn't call my foster parents' home my own yet. The bedroom that held the small collection of possessions I had didn't even feel like my own.

I sighed contentedly, throwing my legs over the arm of the chair, sitting sideways on it so I could get more comfortable. I had only gotten into the third page when the doorbell began ringing rapidly, like someone was just standing there banging on it for fun. I sighed, annoyed this time, rolling out of the chair, onto the floor, onto all fours, and into a standing a standing position. I gently placed the book down on the chair, slowly walking to the big, red, wooden front door.

I ran over the list of people my "parents" had introduced me to; I was 99% positive that they all knew the adults worked on Fridays. Today shouldn't have been any different. I sighed, glancing at the black Converse high tops on my feet as they made hollow footsteps that echoed through the empty house. I smiled a little at all the scuffs on the now discoloured white toes.

The figure that I could see through the frosted glass around the door had resorted to banging with what sounded like two fists on it. I sped up, swiping my hands over my jeans and straightening the hem of the cream-coloured sweater that hung off me one last time, and whipped open the front door.

The figure, who I could now see was a tall and lanky man, at least a foot taller than me, stood with his hands raised in the air. He dropped them down to his sides, shooting a toothy grin at me. He straightened the red bow tie that hung around his collar before reaching into an inner pocket of his tweed jacket. He moved his head down a bit, making his floppy brunette hair bounce slightly.

"Hello!" He stated, pulling out whatever object he had been reaching for. He flashed it at me; merely just a piece of blank paper in a little leather sleeve. "Just here to do a bit of inspecting."

"They're not home," I replied, attempting to block the door frame besides our height difference. "My parents, I mean." I kind of spat out the word parents; I still couldn't feel comfortable saying it casually. It didn't seem that either of the spouses even cared--they barely noticed me, and they probably wouldn't for a while.

"Oh, that's quite alright. Grown-ups are boring anyways," he insisted. He shoved the paper back into his pocket and held out a hand. "I'm the Doctor by the way."

"Doctor...?" I held onto one of the ledges of the frame of the door, hanging off it and leaning across the doorway.

"Just the Doctor," He smiled again; he looked exceptionally eager to 'inspect' the simple two-story, three-bedroom house. I looked at him skeptically. He was a doctor, wasn't he? I couldn't get in trouble for letting a man in medical profession into the house; what was the worse that could happen?

I smiled a little, swinging on the door frame again to expose the entrance into the house for the Doctor. I closed the door behind him, following him as he made his way back into the living room. "Good one," he said of the book I'd left on the armchair. "My favorite part's when--"

"Spoilers!" I interrupted him, because I would just have to find out what happened in the book for myself. "Do you just go around, ruining books for people and inspecting houses?" I teased, picking up City of Bones and placing it on the coffee table instead. "What kind of doctor are you, anyway?"