Chapter 8

“Is this 1904-ish enough?” I ask, pulling out a deep emerald-coloured dress from a rack in the immense wardrobe. “Too green!” I proclaim before the Doctor can get an answer out.

“You look just fine in the jumper,” he sighs, exasperated, slumping his shoulders as he sits amongst the discarded dresses, skirts, and blouses.

“I can’t look just fine in New York, I mean, it's New York!" I insist, pulling another dress out. This time, it's a simple black one that goes down to my knees. "Besides, you're the one who said I should blend in with the times."

He sighs. "Well, you're not wrong..."

I smirk, pulling out a pair of red flats with a short heel. "What time of year are we going to?"

"September, if I remember correctly. September the seventeenth. Why?"

"Just 'cause," I reply, reaching for a tan trench coat that brushes the bottom of the dress, just in case it ends up being cold.

"Alright, console room, fifteen minutes," he says, pulling himself up and out of the door.

***

Exactly eighteen minutes later, I'm sat in the pilot seat in the console room. I roll the sleeves of the trench coat up a few inches and straighten the small bows on the toes of the flats, waiting for the Doctor to return.

"Finally!" I hear from down the hall. The Doctor enters, a dark blue bow tie swapped out with his red one.

"Did you get lost in your own time machine?" I tease. "You're late."

"Time machine, Annabelle, we can't exactly be late. It would ruin our reputation."

I roll my eyes slightly, standing up to follow him around the console as he flicks switches and presses buttons. Hand hovering over the final lever, he turns back and smiles at me. "Ready?"

"No, I just got all fancied up to read a book. Pull it!" I reply, about to pull the lever myself; instead, I get a tight grip on the edge of the console.

"Well, in that case, geronimo!" The Doctor shouts, sending the TARDIS into motion. I laugh along with him at the violent shaking, focusing on trying not to fall over. After a few moments of rocking, the TARDIS slows and emits the wheezing sound that proves we've landed.

I run to the doors. "Wait!" The Doctor shouts, reaching deep into his pockets, searching. "There's one more thing...ah! Got it!" He exclaims, revealing a key.

He meets me at the door. "This," he explains. "is a key to the TARDIS. I thought it was time you got one."