September

(For the full effect, play September by Daughtry while you read.🖤)

The rain soaked through the thin cotton of your shirt, and your skin soon become slick with the chilled feel of the droplets that poured down upon you.

The sudden rain showers cut through the thick air of the humid Georgia September afternoon. The blistering sun becoming hidden behind the clouds aching to release their raindrops. And a breeze blew by you, making the water feel colder against your skin.

But as a smile stretched softly across your lips, you looked to the person who stood in the rain with you. And you had never felt warmer than right there with him.

The sound of raindrops hitting the roof above echoed around you as you opened the front door. You had found the small empty cabin just in time as the storm came blowing in quickly and without warning.

The roof reached out just far enough that you could sit on the first porch step and still stay perfectly dry. But you were out enough to feel the wind blow against your tired body and smell the Earth in the chilled air. The essence of dirt and rain swirled around you as your senses held onto the scent. For it was a mix that reminded you of someone; remembering the way you could smell the Earth against his flesh when he held you. The way the rain had a scent when drenched in his long brown tangles and the way the wind felt like comfort when it touched every article of clothing he wore.

He loved the rain, you recall as you watch the downpour continue across the open forest in front of you. Each droplet falling quicker than the last. Creating puddles in the dark mud as the rain seemed to flood over the grass still green from the summer months.

He loved watching it fall from the sky, listening to each drop ping off of roofs or off of tree branches he stood beneath. He loved the scent the rain left behind. The rich scent of soil left behind as the clouds disappeared.

He loved rain showers while you hated them.

You hated the grey clouds that blew in whenever rain was near. You hated the cold that suddenly took over the warm temperatures. You hated the way the rain effected you, causing a sadness to settle over you as the world look so dark and bleak with the rain.

But Daryl Dixon loved watching the rain... and you loved watching him.

His head tilts upward as he allows the rain to wash over him, streaming down his face as it rolls further down his neck. The raindrops making his tanned skin look darker and glossy almost.

"This is crazy!" You shout to him over the sound of the falling rain. "We should head inside!"

You can't help but laugh as he looks down and over to you with a faint smirk gracing his lips. Here you both stood, out on the front lawn in a rainstorm. Drenched to the bone in precipitation that was beginning to make you shiver from the chill.

You wrapped your arms around yourself, trying to preserve any warmth left. And your hair that laid flat over your shoulders only absorbed the water like a towel. You shook your head as another laugh escaped you, not believing you were still standing out in the rain like this.

But as he looks to you, grasping your eye by locking his sight with yours, he holds his arm out. His palm facing upward as he holds it out for you to take, and in that moment you completely forgot about your dislike for the rain.