Chapter Eight

WILMER'S POV

I think this is where I come in, to help Demi guide Anna in the right direction. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to play the father figure unless Anna wants me to, but I can help with the legal stuff that comes with children being orphaned. I have a clear head; a clear mind. I just want to help whenever Demi and Anna need me; I want to be there for them both.

DEMI'S POV

It's been a week since they died. A whole week. You'd think by now that as a week has gone by I would have hit reality and it would all be real. It feels realer (is that a word?) than it did a few days ago and now that Anna knows, as well as Wilmer, it's easier to cope. I can't see the light and the end of the tunnel just yet but I hope to be nearing it soon. 

Anna's not been herself since I told her, which is understandable but it's hard to watch. She won't eat. She won't get out of bed. She won't talk. Sometimes I even have to remind her to wash. She's only 9, it's hard to watch a young girl just lose herself. Yesterday, we laid mom and dad to rest. I read out a speech at the funeral and Anna threw hundreds of rose petals on their graves as they were lowered - I bought a double grave so that they could be laid to rest together.

Wilmer held my hand during the whole ceremony and more people turned out than expected. Thankfully, the deaths didn't hit the media until after the funeral so it was still private and somewhat nice (however nice a funeral can be). After they were laid to rest, we all came back to my house and just celebrated their life. Anna asked a few questions as to why people were drinking champagne and eating finger food after a funeral, so I had to explain to her that this is the part where we celebrate their life. She was so confused!

When the champagne ran out and the only finger food left was a half-eaten Oreo, which Anna owned up when the guests left, everyone wished me and Anna luck and went home. Then the house was empty and it hit me that this was real. Although I haven't yet popped my bubble, I am beginning to get my head around the loss of my parents. Unlike me, I left the empty, red plastic cups laying around the kitchen and living room and just went to bed with Wilmer. I was tired and today had to be the second worst day of my life; after the day they died.

I rolled over on my side to face Wilmer in bed, who was already awake, despite it being around 8am (yes, this is ridiculously early for Wimer).

"Hi, baby," he smiled at me and pecked me on the lips, although I was a little groggy and not exactly looking my best.

I squeaked out a reply, "Morning."

Our little intimacy was cut short when I could hear music coming from Anna's room. Shortly after the intro to the music, a little voice sung along.

"You're the one that I love, and I'm saying goodbye.." was all I could make out, so I replayed the line over and over until I realised she was singing Say Something. It didn't sound like the original though, more like Alex and Sierra's version that she has obviously heard on X Factor when I was a judge.

"I'm going to check on Anna," I kissed Wilmer once more and climbed out of bed.

ANNA'S POV

I really like this song. It's by the really lovey-dovey people from the X Factor, Alex and Sienna or Sierra or something.

I carried on singing, "Say something I'm giving up on yo-"... The sound of my bedroom door squeak open cut me off.

My cheeks were blushing slightly until I realised it was Demi. I pulled hair from my face and stopped prancing around on my bedroom rug.

"Oh, I thought it was going to be Wilmer," she tilted her head at my rather odd comment.