We are just friends, Amari. Savannah does not hold a grudge against you anymore. She has changed as a person.

People change. I did. She did. And I know you did too. She is willing to apologize to you, that is if you want to hear her apology.

I hope you can forgive me once again. I want to spend time with you while you're here in New York. I have missed you, sugarplum.

What I had/have with you, I can't have it with anyone else.

You are my best friend. The only girl who will ever understand me. I made a mistake a couple of years back and I'm hellbent on fixing it.

I want to go back to what we were.

Yours truly,

Zane.

"Well..." I heard behind me. "That is one hell of a sweet apology."

I gulped as I switched off my phone and stared at the white wall.

Just friends.

Fix us.

"Amari..." Angelica nudged me from the side. "I know you're miserable without him."

"I am," I admitted before letting out a suppressed groan. "I think I will take the next flight to Cali and come back on the actual day of the wedding."

"What? No, you can't do that!"Angelica cried out as she shook my shoulders. "Tell me you didn't mean what you just said."

"I can't. You know there's a reason I have avoided him for so long. I know that I will always accept his apologies. I always did and I will do it over and over again because I believe in him."

"Poor you." Angelica hugged me tightly and rested her head on my shoulders. "It's hard to be in love with your best friend isn't it?"

"I'm not in love with you."

She snorted. "You know who I mean. Why don't you just tell him?"

I stared at her bewildered. "Tell him? Are you serious? The feeling is not mutual and we both know that."

"He does care a lot about you."

"Isn't that what best friends are supposed to do?" I asked quietly, before walking out of her room.
-

Fixing my lipstick in the bathroom mirror I made my way back to the garden.

My mom was hosting a pre-wedding dinner party with all our families and friends.

I was about to grab a cupcake from the dessert table when I felt my phone buzz in my hand.

Sliding my finger across the screen Zane's name immediately popped up.

Meet me in your room.

I stared at the message for a long time, before making my way upstairs. My heart was beating faster the closer I came to my room. What was he up to?

When I opened my bedroom door, I saw Zane standing in front of the window with his back towards me.

"What is it, Zane?"

He slowly turned around and I wished he hadn't.

The pain on his face was enough for my heart to shatter into thousand pieces.

"Zane..." Tears flowed down my cheeks as I ran towards him and hugged him tightly. "What are you doing here? Why are you like this?"

He hugged me back and placed his head on top of my head.

"You have always been my number one Amari. You were always my priority. I made a huge mistake a couple of years back and I'm hellbent to fix everything. Savannah and I have grown into different persons. We rekindle our bond last year because we both agreed that the past should not affect our future. She and her husband own a fast-growing company and I have decided to do business with them. So far, it has been a pleasure.

So tell me, Amari. Are you ready to forgive me? For what I did to you? You should not compare me with the Zane you knew from many years ago, because I promise you... we are not the same."

I promise you.

How many promises we have broken, haven't we already made? There are too many.

I distanced myself from him and stared up at his face from under my wet eyelashes. Maybe, I thought, the promises we made were meant to be broken.

"I forgive you," I whispered softly.

A small smile appeared on his face. "Friends forever?"

I closed my eyes for a moment to lessen the pain in my heart at what he just said. I can't promise him that we will be friends forever, because I have broken that promise a long time ago.

So instead of promising him a forever type of friendship, I said:

"I will be there for you, always."

And that was a promise I would never break.

Don't forget to Vote & Comment!