Epilogue

"So how's it feel being rich?" Zak said with a little smirk, leaning toward me, the crust of a piece of pizza in his hand.

We were currently in my apartment, seated on my living room floor with empty pizza boxes scattered everywhere. Everyone was here: Zak, Tucker, Arden, Oliver, and Melissa. And we were all gathered to celebrate my eighteenth birthday.

"Well, since I just got the check today, I couldn't tell ya," I responded, the corners of my mouth curving up. And technically I wasn't rich, but I was way up from what I was before. Yay, inheritances!

"Still working at Oliver's place too?" Zak asked.

I nodded. "Yup, still there. I like it. And now I can serve beer too, so I'm going to start as a waitress."

"That's good. You're cute, so people will tip you well," Arden commented with a grin. "I know I would."

"Hey, careful, Harley's boyfriend is right here," Melissa mock-whispered, pointing at Oliver behind her hand.

"Don't worry, Oli. I play fair," Arden said.

Oliver didn't look phased. "Oh, I'm not worried."

"Guys," I cut in before they could start squabbling. "Let's try to get along for one night okay?"

Arden almost looked offended. "We are getting along!"

Which was true— for some reason, they got along best when they were arguing.

"Well, you're definitely getting along better than when I first started teaching at the high school," I said, smiling. "The whole class was a handful back then."

Zak blinked at me. "Oh! That reminds me. I'll be right back." He quickly climbed to his feet. "I'll be right back."

My eyes followed him as he left the living room and the apartment altogether. I glanced questioningly at Tucker and Melissa but they both shrugged their shoulders.

Moments later he came rushing back into the room. "This is from the whole class," Zak informed me. "Everyone misses you. I said it was your birthday and we all decided we should make a card for you."

I smiled. "Really?"

Zak grinned widely back at me. "As they say, age is but a number. You were my favorite teacher, Harley. Even if you were a little young."

"Mine too," Tucker admitted. "You really helped me out."

"You helped all of us out," Arden corrected.

Melissa nodded. "I'm glad I met you."

I looked at Oliver. He smirked at me. "Oh, do you want me to say something sweet? I guess I could."

I blushed, puffing my cheeks. "No, not anymore."

"Open the card," Zak insisted.

So I did. The whole card seemed to be handmade. The front cover just said happy birthday in huge writing. Then I opened it up and felt my smile growing. Inside was a drawing off the classroom, students included. And in the front, me at my desk. The drawing definitely wasn't good, but that made it all the more endearing. By each student's picture, a small note was written by the corresponding student. Each note was short and sweet.

Zak had drawn a picture of a bear by his picture, reminding me that I still had the passes for Build-A-Bear and had to go back to the store again. Tucker had only written four words: Thank you for everything. On the bottom, next to Oliver's picture, there was a drawing of a pig. Arden had drawn a heart around his picture and I had to fight the urge to roll my eyes.