Chapter 26

Song: mother to child— flora cash truly a bop
_____________________

The next morning, Sebastian is still missing.

Every morning he is on my bed when I wake up. But that is two mornings now that when half awake and reaching out in all directions, I couldn't find him, or a warm place he had recently been.

No sign when Amy and I go down for breakfast, either. Surprised to find Dad behind some papers in the front room while Mum tears through the kitchen making lunches at top speed. Sebastian's dinner from last night is still untouched in his bowl.

"Where's Sebastian?" I ask Mum.

"I don't know. I'm busy enough without hunting for a stupid cat. He's probably off stalking a mouse or visiting a friend."

Amy looks up from her cereal. "I haven't seen him for a few days, either. Dad, have you been in the shed?"

He looks over whatever he is reading. "Last night. I'll check after breakfast," he says and disappears back behind it.

"Sometimes Sebastian hides there and gets locked in," Amy explains.

But I can't help but worry. If children go missing and nothing is done, what about a cat?

I race to get ready, then check the garden. The shed in the back is locked and has no windows, but I call Sebastian's name and listen at the door: no response.

A toot toot sounds out front: Jazz. Now that he is official and has a full complement of seatbelts, he is collecting us for school.

I round the side of the house to see Amy already there.

"Come on. If we're late for school, bet we'll be back on the bus."

We lurch up the road, and I keep my eyes searching the gardens and footpaths for Sebastian. And the road. So many cars like Jazz's up and down every day at speed.

But see nothing.

Amy catches me looking. "Don't worry! I'm sure he'll be home when we get back later."

"Worry about what?" Jazz asks.

"Our cat is missing," I say.

"Cats are explorers, like me; they like to wander the world, see what there is to see."

Amy rolls her eyes. "Sure Mr Columbus; whatever you say."

"What's with the shed out back?" I ask.

"What do you mean?" Amy says.

"There's no key for it. It's not on the house keys that hang inside; I checked."

She shrugs, disinterested. "I don't know. Only Dad uses it."

"Probably full of Man Stuff," Jazz says. "Like rakes and lawnmowers."

"No. Those are in the little shed on the side of the house," I say, having raked leaves a few days ago while Sebastian chased the rake. I feel uneasy. He has been my shadow since I arrived. Where is he?

With Jazz driving we beat the bus by enough to be early. I slip off to the school Learning Resources Unit before class to do a search of the other thing playing on my mind: Keswick, where Lucy lived before she disappeared. I just have to know: are those mountains in my drawing a real place?

As I login, I find myself comparing the school computer to Mac's. This one is like every computer I have ever seen, until yesterday. We have the same at home; Dad installs and maintains computer systems all over the place, and I bet they are the same, too. The search screen has the interlocking Cs as always at the top left. I've never really focused on them before: CC for Central Coalition. The government. Mac's screen had no trace of this logo.