Chapter 18

"Good evening, everyone."  Nurse Penny is in another bright jumper to go with her voice: this time, it is orange.

Thursday night, 7 pm: time for Group. No sign of Ben, or Tori either, for that matter. The others are all smiling in their seats, and I try to emulate them. A day later and my lip is still impressively bruised, but not nearly as sore.

"Now, perhaps we could start by going around the room, and everyone saying a little of what they've been doing since we last met?"

She starts on the other side of the room, glancing at the clock now and then while tales are related. One tried horseback riding; another had their eyes tested; a third got a puppy. Riveting stuff.

It is about to be my turn when the door flies open at the back, and Ben dashes in, dripping wet. Long sleeved T-shirt and shorts cling to him, outlining his body in an interesting way.

"Really sorry I'm late," he says, and grabs a chair. He pushes it next to mine and I try not to stare.

Penny pretends to frown at her favourite, but it doesn't quite work. "You haven't been running in this weather, Ben."

He shrugs. "Just a little water, it won't kill me."

"Kyla was about to tell us what she's been up to this week."

All eyes are on me.

"Uh, I started school on Monday. And I'm in classes, as of yesterday. Ben is in my biology class."

Penny looks surprised. "In mainstream classes, already? Is it all right?"

I shrug. "Mostly. But...". And I stop. Is mentioning about no art classes some vague rule infringement?

"But what?" she says.

"Nothing. It's fine," I say.

"Don't forget to tell about Sunday," Ben says.

Penny looks at him and he explains. "We met at the Thame Show."  And he launches into a description of the Sheep Show that has everyone in giggles. Even Tori had laughed at their silly names, and the way the sheep were paraded across the stage. "Wait a minute," I say. "Where is Tori?"

Ben looks at me, then back at Penny, a question mark on his face.

"Tori isn't in our Group any more," she says. And moves on to the next in the circle, who learnt how to make chocolate chip cookies. A box of cookies is produced, and conversation ceases as they are passed around.

Ben munches on a handful, crumbs getting stuck on his wet shirt. I resist the impulse to brush them away.

"Ben," I say, in a low voice. "Why isn't Tori in our Group any more? Did she tell you? Why hasn't she been in school this week?"

He shrugs. "She didn't say anything; I don't know."

"Aren't you worried? Maybe something happened to her."

He pauses. "Maybe she's got the flu or something; I didn't really think about it," he says, but I can tell by his face that he is, now. "Tell you what: I'll stop by her place later, and make sure she is all right."

Group carries on, and I wonder about Tori, and Ben's reaction to her vanishing with no explanation. She was his girlfriend, or so I thought. Yet I get the feeling if I hadn't asked, he wouldn't have thought to. And it isn't like he doesn't care; he just didn't think about it. I wasn't much better as I'd noticed she wasn't in school, but never said anything: there were so many other things to worry about.  I wonder if he'd notice if one day I bent too many rules, and wasn't here any more. Would he sit next to some other girl in biology, and not give it a second thought?  Penny has me wait at the end.

"What happened to your face, dear?" she says, concerned.

"I tripped and fell on the bus."

"I see. Was it an accident?"

I hesitate.

"Tell me, Kyla. I won't say anything about it if you don't want me to."

I shake my head. "It wasn't an accident. Someone tripped me up."

"Oh, how dreadful. I'm sorry that happened. You have to take care. Some people aren't very nice, are they? How are things going now?"

"All right. I know who to watch out for."

"Sweetie, understanding that you have to look out for some people is a big step. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help," she says, and squeezes my hand.

I stare back at her, thinking I had things muddled up. Mrs Ali had seemed so nice, and then wasn't, at all. And Penny was so annoying when I first met her, but now, I feel like she is on my side.

"Thanks," I say and give her a real smile.

I get up to go.

"Wait, Kyla," she says. "I asked your mum to come in to chat for a minute."

Moments later Mum appears at the back of the hall, shaking an umbrella. "What dire weather!" she says, scowling and stomping across the floor.

Mum: another one who is puzzling. Is she on my side, or not? Is she the Dragon, or someone who makes me soup when I am hurt? I don't know.

Mum has a chat with Penny about me, but this time I let them get on with it, and don't interrupt. Penny is saying I'm ready to have a little more freedom, and do some things on my own to develop independence. Mum disagrees. But eventually says, all right.

A night full of surprises.