"You haven't caught me yet," Iris teased back while glancing over his shoulder.

"Yet."

"Never." Iris rushed on adrenaline but Kai's laughter behind him wanted to make him stop, but obviously he didn't and the thrill of escaping the vampire's merciless hands by a thread forced his legs to run.

"You know we've passed the kitchen right?" Kai informed as he watched the kitchen door grow further from his vision. He widened his eyes when he looked back and saw that Iris had stopped.

The prince braced for the impact and scrunched his eyes shut. He felt hands clutch his shoulders and he endured a light push but stayed on his feet. He opened one eye to see Kai huffing with relief.

"You can't just stop like that," He exhaled heavily and straightened his back.

"You said we passed the kitchen, I got worried." Iris, too, fixed his shirt and tie while watching Kai ruffle his hair back to normal. He liked it when he did that, it showed his hair wasn't black but very dark brown.

Or maybe it was. He didn't care to distinguish it.

"Worried about food, what's new?"

"I outran you," Iris sang in a childish voice as he poked Kai's cheek and trotted to the kitchen door.

"Child."

"Idiot."

"Immature brat–"

The two stared at the King's wide expression as they opened the kitchen door. He held a tray with fruits and chewed a few in his mouth before swallowing and smiling at them.

"Who is the immature brat?"

Kai felt like a Cobra was slithering around his body when Arlo connected their gazes.

"Not me," Iris chuckled nervously, "he wouldn't say anything like that about me."

"Oh." Arlo nodded as he tossed another grape in his mouth. "Well, he should because you are. Enjoy your breakfast."

Iris's jaw dropped to the floor and Kai bent his head further than needed only to hide a growing smirk when the King walked past them.

"Hey!" Iris yelped five seconds later after the realization froze him. He would've rushed after his father but Kai's laughter distracted him.

"It's not funny." Iris stared unamused as his guard slapped his shoulder with a quieter chuckle.

"You're right I'm sorry."

"Are you?"

"No."

Kai moved over to the table and sat down with a grin and a high held chin. As the table was a long rectangle, he sat at the edge on the sides while Iris took his place on the end close to Kai.

Minutes after sitting they were served their breakfast. In the grand dining room, faded, translucent curtains blocked the direct sunlight from entering the room, at Iris's request.

The room would pass as a sunroom when the long wide windows were curtain free, and the sunlight spewed in and gifted warmth and a beautiful hue in the four walls.

It wasn't dull in the room now but the yellow shades were definitely not at full power.

It was enough light to make the vampire's blue eyes glow with an upbeat mood, as Iris described while he watched him subtly.

No, Kai's hair wasn't black, because his eyebrows were a distinguishable brown. And only in the sun could the light make the brown within his hair shine.