Chapter 3: Trouble at Every Turn

Start from the beginning

Aerel, much to my surprise, was the first one ready. I quickly learned that this was because she wore no armor, only a simple tunic and riding trousers.

"M'lady," I began as I approached her, careful to sound polite. "Perhaps a cuirass or hauberk would be useful to you. Faramir and his men left a significant amount of armaments in the armory."

She shook her head, smiling kindly at me. "I'll be fine, captain. Eru watches over me."

My first thought was that she was mad, but I refrained from voicing it. "Be that as it may, we'll be riding into a war zone. One stray arrow could be the death of you."

"I appreciate your concern... Really I do," She replied. "But I've been in my share of battles, and I've never needed more than what I'm wearing now. I know many are skeptical of any higher power, but I've seen far too much not to believe that someone's watching over us all."

The way she said it didn't sound mad... It didn't even sound like religious fervor. It sounded logical.

I tried to dismiss the seed of doubt that her words had planted in my mind. "Very well then," I said, my tone subdued. "Pick a horse from the stable. I'll make sure the rest of the men hurry."

"Thank you, captain," she nodded as she moved to carry out my order. She was an unusual one... I made a mental note to speak to her more during our mission.

"All ready, sir," Thorondir chimed in as he and Uirion rounded the corner. Both were clad in the garb of rangers, though Uirion also wore a steel Gondorian helm that looked as if it had been through far too many battles without being maintained. Thorondir held an elegant shortbow; It was adorned with several swan-shaped ships, engraved in silver into the sturdy wood. The bow, at least, must've been from Pelargir, the main port city of Gondor. I wondered if he too might not be from there.

"Nice bow," I commented, hoping to elicit an answer to my theory. He gave me a lopsided grin.

"Won it in a game of cards," he said proudly. "One of the few benefits to frequenting taverns and places of ill repute."

I nodded. I wasn't truly surprised, though I was beginning to hope that there was something endearing about him other than his witty remarks.

Uirion rolled his eyes and strode down the hallway, motioning for Thorondir to follow. He gave me a shrug and hurried after his companion.

About an hour later, everyone was ready. Horses had been tacked up, weapons had been sharpened, and armor had been cleaned and fastened on. A mixture of excitement and apprehension filled me as we rode out into the forest, which was just beginning to wake up from a peaceful slumber. A gentle breeze kissed the yellow wildflowers that were interspersed in the underbrush as bees hovered lazily around them, collecting pollen and nectar in preparation for the coming winter. The euphonious calls of morning birds echoed through the trees, melding with the occasional bleat of nearby deer. If I didn't know better, I would think that war was far off at the sight of such beauty.

But I did know better.

=====================

Several hours passed without incident. The only sign of orcs was a small campfire that appeared to be over a day old, and Eradan stated that it was likely that the orcs had headed west from there, based on the tracks he had seen. After a while we began to risk quiet conversation when we were certain we wouldn't be heard, still remaining wary for anything that seemed out of the ordinary.

"So, captain," Thorondir began cordially. "How's the heartland of Gondor faring of late? I've been on the frontier for far too long."

I gave a shrug. "Truth be told, the war is hitting the main cities hard as well. We've been dealing with a constant stream of wounded soldiers from Osgiliath. The battle there never really ended."