21

Jessica and Peter immediately recognised the Vulture's figure once they snuck into the old industrial park. Walking towards him, Peter was the first to confront him.

"Hey!" He yelled, catching his attention. "Surprised?"

"Oh, hey, Pete. I didn't hear you come in." He casually greeted them. "Jessica, it's been a long time."

She did not hesitate in letting him know their intentions. "It's over. We've got you."

"You know, I gotta tell you... I really, really admire your grit." His tone was still casual, what really irritated Jessica. "I gotta give credit to Liz, she knows how to choose her friendships. I can't believe I've let you two into my house. When you first came, I wasn't sure. And now I see it was right in front of me."

"How could you do this to her?"

"To her?" He let out a laugh. "I'm not doing anything to her. I'm doing this for her. You're young. You don't understand how the world works."

Peter spoke with anger. "But I understand that selling weapons to criminals is wrong."

"How do you think your buddy Stark paid for that tower? Or any of his little toys?" The Vulture's voice started to rise, better suiting the conversation. "Those people, Pete, those people up there, the rich and the powerful, they do whatever they want."

He continued. "People like us, like you and me they don't care about us. We build their roads, and we fight all their wars and everything, but they don't care about us. We have to pick up after them. We have to eat their table scraps. We have to take their bullets. That's how it is, isn't Jessica?"

Jessica was surprised to hear him address to her. She did not reply, instead, she waited for a further explanation.

Peter seemed as confused as her. "What is he talking about?"

"Who do you think founded your father's research? And what did he do when the lab exploded? Nothing."

Jessica didn't know that. This was all new information for her. And yet, she had no time to process it. "No..."

"Wha- Jess? What lab explosion?"

Her eyes started to water due to the mention of her father and the night of the accident. "Why are you telling us this?"

"Because I want you to understand. And I needed a little time to get her airborne."

Suddenly, something came flying behind the two teens. They both ducked before it could hit them. The thing came back like a boomerang and once again they ditched it.

"I'm sorry, kids." Said the Vulture. The thing flew in his direction and attached to his suit, transforming into his wings.

"What are you talking about? That thing hasn't even touched us yet."

"True. Then again... wasn't really trying to."

The ceiling collapsed over the two teens, heavy chunks of the building falling upon them. The last thing Jessica saw was Peter's alerted face, who was looking at her and had stepped forward to reach her. However, the ceiling reached the floor before he could act. They both were left under the same big block. It had fallen right over Jessica's chest, obstructing her breathing. 

"Jessica!" Peter screamed once the dusted faded away, revealing to him the knocked out girl. He started to panic. "Someone, please. We're down here. I'm down here. I'm stuck. I'm stuck. I can't move. I can't-"

He remembered what Mr Stark told him. If he's nothing without the suit then he shouldn't have it. Then, he looked at Jessica again, unconscious, with blood in her face. He realised he couldn't just scream for help and wait for someone to come. He needed to prove he was responsible enough for his powers. Especially now that his life wasn't the only one in danger.