7

Peter couldn't sleep. One of the reasons was the same as always. Anything could be happening in the streets of New York. Someone could be in danger and he was at home, resting. The other reason was the new girl who had recently moved into his life. He thought about what she had done with her powers. She was dangerous, she made a car explode. How was Mr. Stark so sure she was on their side? If she turned against them, she could be a great enemy. 

He stared at the bottom of the bunk above him, sighing. He had known Jessica had something to hide since the first time he had seen her.

Suddenly her head popped out, hanging from the top bunk and scaring the life out of Peter.

"Alright, I think it's time we have a talk." She whispered, the boy was still trying to catch his breath.

"What the heck!" He tried to not raise his voice. "What are you doing?"

"Shh! You'll wake up May." She jumped out of the bunk. 

"What time is it?" He asked her bewildered.

"Sometime past midnight." She just said. "Look, I just wanted to make things clear. I didn't volunteer to be here, okay? I had no choice."

"Wait, are you being forced to be here? Did Mr. Stark kidnap you?"

She thought about her answer. "Yeah, kinda. But no, that's not why I'm here."

"Why is it then?"

She didn't answer because of the noises she heard from outside the room. They both heard steps and knew that May had woken up. Both of them stood still until they knew May was back on her room.

"I think we're being too loud." Jessica whispered before Peter got out of his bed and took out a bag from under it. Inside were his web shooters.

"Come with me." He told the confused girl as he placed the shooters on his wrists.

"Where are we going?"

"Just trust me."

He placed his arm around her waist as they stood in front of the window. Jessica's first instinct was to push him away, but she didn't have time before the boy shot a web out of the window.

"Wha- Ah!" The jump had taken her by surprise. She tightened her arms around Peter's neck, hoping he would hold her tighter as well.

Once the initial shock passed, she looked down to the streets of New York. It was beautiful. Sooner than expected, they landed on the roof of a building.

"Oh my God..." She gasped, unable to contain her smile. That had been fun. Her eyes met with the teenage boy's when she realized she was still holding onto him. "That was so much scarier than the first time."

"Are you okay?" He asked, still looking into her eyes.

"Yeah..." That made Jessica let go. She adjusted her clothes. "Yes, I'm fine. I'm fine."

From the roof they could see the East River and, across it, the beautiful view of Manhattan at night. The lights on the skyscrapers were breathtaking for Jessica, even though she had been living there forever, she had never seen this side of the city. Right about in the middle of the city, she spotted the building with a big 'A' on it. She then remembered why was she there.

"I'm sorry about, you know, what happened earlier." Peter interrupted her thoughts. "I just try to protect those who can't protect themselves. And well, you had just made a car explode, so-"

"Just know," She cut him off mid-sentence. "I could kill you for that." She looked at him seriously but broke laughing once she saw the face she got as a response. "But I won't. You're too young, you have yet to much to see."

"I'm not that young! I'm 15." Jessica looked surprised, she had expected him to be younger. She looked at his face and now thought that he could indeed pass for a 15 year old. "And I don't think you could kill me so easily. It's Spider-man you're talking to."

"Actually, it is easy." She said, looking down at her hands. She pressed the button of her gloves on the inside of the wrist and they lost up. She showed them to Peter. "I wear this so I don't hurt anybody. You see, I poison through my touch." 

"Wow, that's- I mean, that's pretty bad. But at least you've got it under control."

"Not really, I need the gloves. Otherwise, I don't know if I'm able to control it."

They stood in an awkward silence before Peter spoke.

"What about your other powers?"

Jessica let out a sad laugh. "Still in progress."

"How did you get them?"

She didn't know how to reply to that question. The thought had brought her to the day of the accident. The day she lost her father and her identity.

"Hmm-" She tried to find a way to explain it. "An accident exposed me to radiation. It should've killed me, but here I am."

"Wow, I just got bit by a spider."

"I'm sure it hurt way less."

Peter laughed, but she didn't. Talking about the accident had made her sad. She stood still, looking at the landscape, but not focusing on a specific point.

Peter started to worry. "A-are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just..." Jessica shook her head and gave him a weak smile. "I don't like talking about my powers. I don't want to remember the day I got them. I just want- I want everything to be like it was before." Still looking away from him, she whispered. "Let's go back."

But none of them moved.

"I'm sorry." Peter apologised, truly meaning it. "If that bothered you."

"It's okay."

She stared at the edge of the building. Something was pulling her into the void. Not out of sadness, or curiousness. She was being pulled by her instincts.

"Jessica?"

And then she followed her instincts.

"Jessica!"

She had let herself fall out the edge of the building. Immediately, Peter jumped to her rescue. He shot his webs to secure himself as he let the weight of his body pull him down. He stretched out his arm to get her, ready to shot a web and catch her, but then something happened.

She had stopped falling. She was floating 300 feet above the ground. Jessica was trying her best to contain both her excitement and her fear. Something inside her had told her she could do this. For the moment she was stable, but she was afraid of moving. 

"Woah!" Peter hang from a web string in front of her, looking at her stupefied. "Y-you're flying!"

"I thought about it after I made you levitate." She explained, looking at him with a smile. "I don't think I can move, so can you please help me get down before I crash?"