16

Nothing special happened the next morning. Jessica and Liz walked together to school after getting ready. They kind of expected to be in the spotlight, bearing in mind that they had almost died and most certainly everybody would have heard about that. But once they made it to class, the only thing they could hear were people talking about Spider-Man.

Jessica didn't see the popular superhero's alter ego anywhere, though. At first, she thought that he might have overslept since it was typical of him. But then she found him talking to Ned on the hallway while she was on her way to her algebra class.

"Hi Peter." She greeted him, surprising him and making him turn at the same time that Ned walked away. 

"Oh!" He exclaimed, adjusting his backpack on his right shoulder. "Hi Jess! H-how are you feeling?"

"Quite better." She nodded, a small smile escaping her lips with the thought of him being concerned about her. "I was nervous about drawing attention after the incident, but it looks like everyone is busy talking about the great Spider-Man."

"Well, I think it's pretty difficult for you to not draw attention," Peter said and Jessica frowned her eyebrows, not really knowing what to reply to that. "I-in a good way, I mean. Like, you're just..." Peter struggled to try and rephrase his comment. "People look at you." He finally said after sighing. "When you pass by, In a good way..."

Jessica still didn't know what to reply to that. She just chuckled and shook her head. Peter let out the breath he was holding and laughed as well, looking at the girl with a big smile. It was the first time he had made her laugh. 

"Alright, Spider-Boy, I'm going to class." She said as there was nobody else in the hallway anymore. She noticed a piece of hair out of place hanging upon his forehead. Jessica took it and put it back in its place. The boy looked at her paralysed. "Don't let the fame get to your head."

"Wait, Jess, I..." Peter came back to his senses and stopped her before she left. "I was wondering if you wanted - and only if you wanted - maybe we could-"

"Parker!" A voice behind him interrupted him. It was the principle. "My office!"

Jessica saw Peter's distress face as he had been caught and shook her head again. After ditching everybody at the decathlon, the most probable thing was that he'd get detention. 

"We'll continue this conversation when you get out of detention." And with that, she headed to class leaving the busted boy.  

**

Jessica laid on her bed as soon as she walked into her room. Liz had been insistent on joining the Homecoming committee and help prepare everything. She finally gave in, seeing how excited her friend was. Before accepting, Jess didn't even think about going. Now she would have to attend the dance (as her duty as a member of the committee) and on top of that, she would need to find a partner to go with. It wasn't until that moment when she remembered the conversation she had earlier with Peter. Was he going to ask her to homecoming? Is that what he was trying to ask her?

Jessica shook off the thought. It was silly of her to think something like that, Peter might not even want to go to homecoming and less with her.

She came down of her cloud of thoughts when her phone rang and the screen lighted up, showing it was an unknown private number.

Before she could even ask who it was, Tony Stark's voice interrogated her. "Kid, where's the spiderling?"

"Tony?" She asked although she recognised his voice. "I think he's in detention. He disappeared at the decathlon to, you know, put on his suit and save us all."