I've just pulled a box of popcorn from the shelf when two familiar faces meander down the aisle. This must be the day for bumping into friends. Normally, I can go an entire month without spotting anyone I recognize in public, but when Braydon glances up and his eyes widen slightly, I know I'm not just seeing someone who resembles him. Really, with Alec and his bold features and cool persona, it's not hard to conclude that they're the Starling brothers.

When Braydon and I spot each other, he smiles, and I'm pretty sure my smile matches his—just for a completely different reason. I get the sense that Braydon maybe likes me a tad more than I like him. Sure, he's nice and funny, but also a teensy bit obnoxious at times. I'm sure he drives Alec crazy with the amount of teasing and badgering he does. I still find it amusing, but I can see that amusement dying with time.

"Hey," Braydon greets, stopping his shopping cart beside mine.

"Hey," I respond, glancing at Alec who offers a slight tilt of his lips in greeting. "What are you guys up to today?"

"Same thing you are, it looks like," Alec responds, taking a smooth glance through my shopping cart.

"Hey, don't judge," I tease, glancing into the basket and feeling shame wash over me when I see the amount of junk food piled up inside.

"We've got a group of friends coming over tonight," Braydon explains. "Sort of a cookout, but indoors because we'll be watching the game live. Mike and Andy will be there, but I don't think you'd know anyone else. Besides," He shifts uncomfortably, shooting Alec a glance that's met with a careless shrug in return. "The guys might not take too kindly to me inviting a girl."

I laugh, enjoying his discomfort even though I could have guessed what he was trying to say the moment he hesitated. "Don't worry," I assure him. "I have no interest in crashing your party. I wouldn't be able to go anyway."

"We do all need to meet up one last time before Andy heads back to Peoria on Sunday though," Alec says, pulling his phone from his pocket. "I could text you whenever we make plans."

Oh, he is smooth.

"Yeah, sure," I answer, taking my phone from my purse. This guy's probably got a winning streak with charming the ladies and I wouldn't want to be the one to break that. It's not bad to enjoy a man's attention, is it? Even if I have no intention of pursuing anything with him?

With numbers exchanged, we part ways and I finish up my shopping. I get everything loaded into my trunk before rounding my vehicle and sliding into the driver's seat. That's when I spot the note.

A note that wasn't there twenty minutes ago when I'd entered the store.

My heart thumps hard and desperate against my ribcage. This was not what I was expecting. Why in the world is there a note on my car now? I haven't even seen Mike since last night. So I can only assume one of two things: either he's following me, or they're not his.

The idea of him following me is an unsettling one. Of course, he did just return from war. Maybe he has this unexplainable need to ensure that the people he cares about are safe. Maybe he's just watching from a distance in hopes of easing his own mind. If that's the case, I'm going to have to have a serious talk with him. He can't just stalk me all over town. If anything, he just needs to talk to me. Apparently, that's what he wants, according to his last note.

If they're not his, then I don't have a clue who to suspect. I could pin it on Alec or Braydon but I don't really know them all that well. It seems weird that one of them could feel so strongly for me that they'd sneak around about their feelings because they don't wanna scare me away with their intensity. I don't like to acknowledge the signs, but it's undeniable. The only people who have always been around prior to receiving a note are Alec and Braydon—well, except for the first note. At that time, I hadn't even met them yet.

With a deep breath, I push my door back open and step into the parking lot. Taking a quick look around, I don't find anyone peering at me through the mass of cars, or eyeing me from inside their suspicious vehicles. Everyone's just going on about their business completely unaware of my inner turmoil.

Could it be possible that I have a legit stalker?

Plucking the note out from underneath the wiper, I hurry back inside my car and lock the doors. It's one thing to have a friend or acquaintance leaving notes on my car, but the initial excitement I'd felt knowing that someone was interested in me has suddenly evaporated. This is no longer a fun little stunt. It's creepy. Dangerously creepy.

Unfolding the origami-shaped frog, I flatten the page against the steering wheel and glance out the window one last time. The sunny day now looks a little too bright—like it's staged—and the shoppers heading toward their vehicles seem a little too robotic. My eyes are playing tricks on me now and it's making me feel crazy.

Taking a deep breath, I scan the message.

          Staying quiet is killing me, but I fear that revealing myself would only kill the last of your smile... a smile I happen to adore. Would you smile more if you knew who I was? 

               Maybe we're not ready to change the way things are.

I'm frozen in place as I digest each word, but my veins are on fire. It's like someone's poured liquid nitrogen into my bloodstream and let it boil its way through my circulatory system. Twisting the keys in the ignition, I flip on the AC and blast it across my flushed skin.

I want these words to be from someone I know. I ache to have someone affected by me in this way. But I can't refrain from being paranoid. I don't want to be paranoid, which leaves me with only one option.

I need to confront Mike.

---

Who's Lindsey's secret admirer? Mike or someone else? What's your guess. I need to hear it. ;)