Chapter Four Back to School

Start from the beginning

The four girls sat quietly staring at the looming castle as they approached it – closer and closer the lights in the high towers like flickering candles.

"Watch yer heads –" they heard a voice.

Each of them ducked easily avoiding the cliff that they were now coming under. Then, with lanterns lighting the underground, they saw piers approaching.

Each of the girls jumped out with help from Ethan and Michael whom they had met earlier. Victoria unsure of how to feel around the boys was still very grateful for the help. Then, they crowded quietly behind the giant as he began to pound on the door of the school.

The door opened and the sneering face of Severus Snape appeared in front of them. Of course, not everyone would know who he was.

"Professor Snape," Hagrid said quietly, "The firs' years –"

"Yes, Hagrid," he said with a sneer. "I see them."

He glared out at all of them, probably with eyes that could pick out the Gryffindors among them. Victoria saw him pass by her uninterested. She felt her breath catch that she didn't suffer from his gaze too long.

"Everyone is waiting inside of the school," Professor Snape said in that quiet and dangerous voice, "and I will be taking you right inside for your Sorting. During the ceremony you shall be quiet and contemplative, hoping that there is a place for you here at Hogwarts –"

An empty threat lying there – Victoria thought.

"Once you are sorted, you will go to sit with the rest of your house. It could be Gryffindor –"

That he said with complete disgust.

"It could be Hufflepuff –"

That was only slightly more preferable from his look.

"Ravenclaw –"

He seemed to hold no negatives or positives on that one.

"And if you are lucky and not a complete dunderhead, you may be in Slytherin –"

He nearly purred that last line out. And then in a fashion that Victoria remembered from her days as Harry Potter he twirled leaving his cloak nearly floating behind him. The six – Michael and Ethan and then Victoria and he friends nearly beside them followed as closely as anyone would dare to follow Professor Snape.

Through the small room Victoria remembered Professor McGonagall had left them in when Harry Potter was sorted, they walked and right into the Great Hall.

Victoria noticed how from near complete darkness they were brought to a room lit up by candles and stars above. It was quite the dramatic effect. In addition, the glittering plates and glasses all shined the reflection of that light. They all stopped as Professor Snape pulled out a hat and with a flourish placed it on the stool.

"Now, we will begin –" he said with breathless quiet. "When your name is called, you will step up and sit on the stool, then we will place this hat on your head."

"Abbott, Julia –" he called.

A girl that looked like the younger image of Hannah Abbott tentatively approached the stool and sat down. Then, Professor Snape dropped the hat on her head. It wasn't on long when the shout was

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

Julia's robes turned to the yellow and black badge of the badger and she hopped int the direction of her sister who was leading the Hufflepuff table in loud shouts and cheers.

"Avery, Victoria –" he said with a whisper.

Putting her head in the air and walking toward the stool, she stepped as confident as she could feel. She gently sat on the stool, and the hat came down over her head.