Chapter 7

Athena woke up abruptly to the sound of footsteps walking into her room. She noticed the silhouette as Rye's, and was instantly at ease.

"What are you doing?" she whispered, sitting up to get a better look at the boy, who's oversized t shirt hugged his body perfectly, his blue adidas pants on his legs as a cheeky grin spread across his face.

"Come with me," he whispered back, extending his arm out to her, tilting his head slightly to the side.

"Come with you where?" she asked, trying to comb through her hair with her hands when she realized how bad she probably looked, even in almost complete darkness.

"Just trust me, okay?" he said, wiggling his fingers as a signal for her to take his hand.

She obliged, standing up, smoothing out her shirt that she wore to bed even if she knew it was really no use. His hand remained in hers as they walked outside, heading towards the beach.

"We're going to the beach in the middle of the night?" she asked sarcastically, trying to hold back a yawn that was threatening to escape.

"Better than that," Rye nodded as he kept walking, guiding Athena further and further.

"Beaumont this better not be some plot to murder me without anyone knowing," she teased, kicking sand at him jokingly.

"I would never," he giggled.

He continued walking, and the shadows of the trees surrounding them danced across the smooth sand that was under their feet. Rye led her off from where the beach was and began climbing, confusing her even more. Why was he doing this now? Why so late?

They eventually made it to the top of a cliff, a clear view ahead, not blocked by any trees or even clouds. She noticed that it was a full moon, and the stars above were so clear, so bright and visible in the seemingly pitch black sky above them.

Rye sat on the edge of the cliff, his legs dangling off the edge as he pat a spot next to him, indicating for her to sit down beside him. She did so, laughing slightly in spite of everything, realizing how something so little amused Rye so much.

"I found this place a little while ago, it used to be kind of a secret I guess. I knew it was a full moon and the sky was so clear so I wanted to come look at the stars. I wanted you to come with me," he shrugged.

"Why me?" she asked, looking over at him as he continued to look straight ahead, the corner of his mouth tugging upward slightly at the question.

"Because I know you're always up for an adventure, and I know you'd marvel at it with me despite your complaining on the way here," he smirked.

"I did not complain that much!" she defended, "and besides, I'm only adventurous because of you. Remember how hard it was for you to get me to do anything slightly risky?"

"Yeah you were a lot more safe back then," he nodded, "but I corrupted you."

"Anyway," he continued, "I figured why not show someone else this place, and have company on such a beautiful night."

She grinned, the blue hue of the moon shining on his face, every dip and contour of his face being shadowed in the moonlight. Somehow, he looked even more beautiful like this, despite that it wasn't daylight which made him less visible. There was something about the look in his eyes as he looked out to the sky and the water ahead of where he was sitting, his emotion unreadable which intrigued Athena even more.

He was broken out of his thoughts, looking over at Athena, who averted her gaze quickly, looking out at the view ahead of her as well. Rye marveled at her beauty in the moonlight, not knowing that she had just been doing the exact same thing.

He pointed out a few constellations, watching as she squinted slightly, trying to find them in the sky, following where his finger was pointed. The way her smile lit up when she found it, and how she cheered slightly and stared at it for a few moments.

They sat in comfortable silence for a moment, nothing but the sound of each other breathing, the waves, and the wind blowing through tree branches.

"You know, A," he started, his voice low and hush, but still soft, "you've always been one of the only people I feel totally comfortable around. Like I don't have to pretend to be someone I'm not, someone without expectations that I have to live up to or judgement."

"You can be yourself around me," she told him, looking over to meet his eyes. She felt his leg brush up against her, holding her breath for a split second as a reaction, "I think you're amazing the way you are, and I've thought that for my entire life. You were the reason this place was what I looked forward to every year, a place that was better than my own home."

"I'm really grateful to have you in my life," he nodded, "you're really exceptional, and sometimes I don't even think you realize it."

"I'm not exceptional Rye," she chuckled, shaking her head at him, "but, I could say the same about you."

Athena couldn't believe she was actually saying these things. She always so scared of Rye finding out about her feelings, that she would ruin the solid friendship they already had. She was always too shy or scared to say anything like this, but I guess after growing up and going a while without seeing him, she changed.

"You doubt yourself way too much," he laughed, "I've always thought you were pretty amazing, even if sometimes I could strangle you."

"Wow so sweet," she laughed sarcastically, elbowing him lightly as she shook her head though.

"All jokes aside though, I am really happy we're here together right now," he said softly, looking at her.

"Me too," she whispered, a smile breaking across her face.

They sat there for a few seconds, staring into each others eyes, a tired smile spread across her face.

Before she could even fully process it, Rye's hand was under her chin, lifting it slightly as he began leaning in, her heart picking up pace, like it was going to beat out of her chest.

She could feel his warm breath on her skin, his lips almost touching hers before they heard an ear piercing scream from behind them, both of them jumping out of the moment, their eyes widening, breaking the moment.

~~

Hey guys!! I hope you all had a happy holiday! And I hope you guys are doing amazing and I wish you a happy new year as well!

I hope you guys enjoy this chapter, I really liked writing it! :) Let me know what you think, I absolutely love reading your comments!

-Rachael