Four

The next day at school was uneventful, as had been for the last few weeks. At least, the first half was.

  It started off the same, with Dan casually stalking Phil in between classes and Phil casually ignoring him, Jace watching him like he was some kind of delicacy, and his classes doing nothing but torture his already bent-out-of-shape mind. He tried his hardest to actually pay attention to what was going on around him, but soon enough, it would at just become a blur, and he'd just tune out.

  Needless to say, his first three periods went by slowly and painfully, and he nearly started singing when the bell rang, signaling his lunch period.

  After Phil had found out about his and Jace's 'escapades', Dan had taken to spending his lunch in various hiding spots, so that the vicious green eyed boy wouldn't seek him out and try anything. He avoided his usual spot, a large tree in front of the school, at all costs. And so far, his actions had seemed to work.

  But today must not have been his day, because just as he was settling down behind one of the abandoned tool sheds of the school, the devil himself showed up, standing over Dan and smirking down at him with those attractive yet undeniably evil green eyes.

  "I know you've been avoiding me." Was the first thing he said, as he plopped down, uninvited, next to Dan. "And I know why, really, I just don't see the point in it."

  Dan didn't say anything, just continued to gaze down at the book that was open in his lap. He wasn't at all paying attention to the words, but he flipped the page anyway to make it seem as if he wasn't interested in Jace talking. Maybe he'd go away then.

  Jace stayed quiet too, pulling harshly at the grass underneath him. But his silence was short lived, as he continued on in that annoyingly charming voice of his.

  "I mean you and that Frank guy, whatever his name was," he said, waving his hand dismissively, "you guys are done, I mean, completely annihilated from what I can tell."

  Dan still ignored him, but he couldn't stop the reaction that came to him at Jace's words. His teeth clenched tightly behind his lips, and his fingers gripped the edges of his book until his hands started turning white. He tried to control his suddenly sped up breathing, but it was hard because Jace just kept talking.

  "And what we had was fun, right? I enjoyed myself at least, I don't know about you." He paused again, leaning his head back against the wall and staring up at the sky. "What I'm trying to say is, if you and your boy toy are done, why can't we go back to the way it was before? It's not as if you have to hide it anymore, and there's none of that ugly guilt either, that comes from cheating." He glanced over at Dan, who was still resilient in his silence. "And I'm so bored."

  "You know what I don't understand?" Dan said through his teeth. He continued glaring down at the pages in front him, not wanting to look at Jace full on. "I don't know if what you said was true, about what that Logan guy did to you, but it sure seemed like it was. And I don't understand why you did the same exact thing with me, knowing it would hurt him the way it did you." He looked up then, straight at Jace who looked as if he was ready to claw Dan's eyes out. 

  "Don't talk to me about him." Jace said, dangerously quiet. His eyes weren't so shiny now, instead they had grown darker with anger.

  "Just like you talk to me about Phil?" Dan shot back at him, his hands balling into fists.

  "It's not the same."

  "It's exactly the same, you asshole."

  Jace didn't say anything else, and Dan actually felt sort of proud of himself for making him speechless. He went back to staring at his book, waiting for Jace to do something or say something.