Chapter 2: A Little Bit of Action

Start from the beginning

The blonde in front of me folded her arms over her small chest, something we didn't share. I had gotten my curvy figure and larger chest from my father's mother.

"Are you that worried about tonight?" My sister wondered with a silent sigh. "They're just friends you know."

"To you maybe." I scoffed, turning my direction to the counter and beginning to make my way over to it to put the groceries back. Normally, the maids or Chef Malien were suppose to put the foods away, but I liked to make their jobs as easy as possible and Malien had shown me how he likes his ingredients put away. "Maybe you should host, you're better at it and I need to study."

Clarika slouched with a long sigh. "Not this again." Her body straightened up as she wandered over to help me put the groceries away.

"What?" My hands went to my hips.

"You always do this. You always make up an excuse as to why you can't host a party -- last week it was because you were sick, when really you were in the backyard training. A month ago you were caught up in mage training and needed to 'meditate'."

"I really did." I smiled awkwardly.

"You never meditate, you say it's stupid." She shot back like she had been expecting me to say that.

I winced, tilting my head. She wasn't wrong, sitting down with my legs bent and crossed over each other while humming wasn't exactly what I'd call training. But Blankenship said that mages had to form special neuro pathways that allowed our magic to grow and expand without burning or freezing our skin. The more you expanded your magic pathways, as Blankenship always said, the less pain you'd be in when your elemental powers came through.

"What if I'm a commons person, or a dragon rider?" I asked concerningly.

"Don't be ridiculous." My sister rolled her eyes. "You'll probably be an earth mage, or a fire mage like mother to match that stubborness of yours." Clarika smirked at the last part.

"Oh ha ha." I snickered, nose crinkled before growing a smirk. "What if I'm a light mage?"

She shook her head, answering me in a teasing tone. "Nope. All that power would go right to your head and then I'd have to punch you."

"Would not."

"Would too."

"Nuh-uh. It would go to your head." I had opened the fridge and set some bright red and green leaves in the bottom drawer, where Malien liked his vegetables to go.

"Fine, whatever." My sister waved me off. She wasn't know for having the best temper and would often lose it quiet quickly like father would. "Let's just finish this up and get to training."

"Yeah!" I cheered quietly, picking up my pace to finish faster. Clarika unbagged everything while I put things in their rightful corner of the pantry or fridge. Mother had breezed by while my sister and I bickered some more, throwing out horrible puns and having pointless arguments. She said that the chef could put away the food or she could have one the maids do it. But my sister and I both politely declined. We liked to make our staff's jobs as easy as possible, even if they were getting paid to do this. It didn't hurt to be nice to them, I mean after all, they were the ones making us food and keeping the house clean and spotless.

Once we were done, my sister and I quickly ran up the stairs and into our rooms to change into our training gear and then met outside in the courtyard. Coin grey plates of our armor glistened in the heat of the summer sun as my sister and I prepared for 'battle'. The metal plates were light and covered my chest, shoulders, and legs. They allowed me to move freely without any strain.