i. Third Floor Corridor

Chapter OneThird Floor Corridor

Chapter One
Third Floor Corridor

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

      Elia never liked Wednesdays. It wasn't simply because she had a double Potions period that day (which was dreadful, mind you), but because nothing interesting ever happened on a Wednesday.

      Founding of the States? Thursday, July fourth, seventeen seventy-six. Start of the Vietnam War? Tuesday, November first, nineteen fifty-five. Fall of the Berlin Wall? Thursday, November ninth, nineteen eighty-nine.

      Hell, even Elia's day of birth — Thursday, February sixteenth, nineteen seventy-eight.

      A sigh escaped her lips at the thought of Wednesdays. Beside her, Selene noticed the pensive expression across her face before it was replaced with that of irritation. Whether it was the day of the week or the lesson being given, Selene never could tell what occurred in the mind of the blind girl beside her. It'd been that way since their second year when they became friends.

      It wasn't long before Charms ended and Professor Flitwick struggled to get the students to stay. To his dismay, it seemed the lot of them weren't bothered about hearing whatever their homework assignment was going to be and was rather intrigued to eat their lunchtime meals. Selene and Elia quietly left the room and walked towards the Great Hall for lunch, following the lot of students. Elia's hand rested around Selene's arm as she led them so Elia wouldn't accidentally bump into anyone or anything.

      It was a simple act like this made Elia feel suffocated. She knew she didn't need a guide when she was doing something as simple as walking, but no one else knew that, unfortunately. And despite Elia's friendship with Selene, she couldn't help but feel weak.

Elia clenched her jaw as she entered Selene's mind to see them approaching their house table. Letting go of Selene, Elia reached out and took her seat and began to serve herself a plate as any other normal witch would have done.

      To anyone at Hogwarts, Elia was... one of a kind. From walking by herself to class and never missing a step or when she said something before you even had a chance to say it, there was no telling how odd she could be. However it didn't take a genius to figure out what she was and yet, everyone seemed the idea of it was too far a stretch.

      Although as odd as people thought Elia was, that didn't inhibit anyone from the desire of wanting to be her friend. She was the eccentric and brilliant Hufflepuff whose smile never faltered. Simply being around her made you feel happier, euphoric even.

      The bliss of silence that settled between Selene and Elia was disrupted the moment Jaehyun Kim sat down beside them. "Trelawney has really lost it this year," Jaehyun said as he stuffed a piece of French toast in his mouth while piling his plate high with food.