Prologue

PrologueElia Chalamet

Prologue
Elia Chalamet

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

THROUGHOUT her sixteen years of life, Elia Chalamet never found being blind a challenge. Whether it was because she had been born blind or because she enjoyed seeing through others, she always found a way to see the positive side of any situation.

Elia lost count of all the times in her life where she had accidentally bumped into someone or spilled coffee over whatever was on the desk at the time. It was times like these that made Elia grateful for the existence of magic. Her mother was usually the one to clean the mess, since Elia didn't have control over her own magical ability yet. Valentina Chalamet often managed to appear before a spill or break happened, but other times she wasn't so lucky.

"You know you have to be more careful, Elia," Valentina scolded her daughter as she cleaned the broken tea cup from the floor. "Reparo."

Eleven-year-old Elia sat silently. She clasped her hands together to keep them from shaking and said, "Sorry, Mama."

Valentina smiled at her and took the seat beside her. "It's okay. Do you want help packing?"

Elia shook her head. "Papa helped me finished last night. I could see him organize my books by title and made everything accessible."

"Did he think anything but not say it?"

"He was sad. He kept thinking about not reading to me at night," Elia said to her mother. The white eyes of Elia stared straight ahead, a void-like expression was painted across her face.

"Are you nervous?" Valentina asked.

Elia shrugged. "What if they don't like me?"

"They'd be silly not to," Valentina said to with a grin and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "You will be fine. You just have to remember the rules."

"Can we go through them one more time?"

"Of course. Go on."

"Rule number one: I can only use legilimency to see my surroundings," Elia said, receiving a confirmative hum from her mother, "Rule number two: I am not allowed to use legilimency in class, on exams, or for homework. Which shouldn't even be a rule because Papa already said the Professor has a spell that inhibits my legilimency."

      "Elia."

      "Right, sorry. Rule number three: I can't, under any circumstance, tell anyone that I'm a legilimens."

      "That's right," Valentina nodded. Elia scrunched her nose and puffed her cheeks, "But why can't I tell anyone, Mama? What if it's an emergency or something?"

      "Because people might not like having their minds read, sweetheart," Valentina said. "And if it's an emergency then you have to decide if it's worth the risk."