Chapter 28: Paper Rings

Start from the beginning

"You remembered," Cass smiles at the thought of her favorite ring of the collection.

"Of course I did," Draco chuckles, "I still vividly remember when we were 8 and you threatened me that I wasn't allowed to give it to Danneel. Then you proceeded to tell me I had to either tell your future husband or make Danneel tell him that this was the ring he is supposed to use or you'd say no."

"Good boy," Cass laughs and pats Draco on the head.

"Yea no help me pick one for Danneel."

"You finally came to your senses then?" Cass laughs, "Grandmother's ring is so not D. Why on earth did you pick that one?"

"My father was breathing down my neck," Draco defends, "Besides he kept saying something about tradition or something I can't remember. I just panicked."

"Of course you did," Cass snorts, "God I forgot how big some of these are, kinda makes Grandma's look tiny, but nothing can match that bright unsettling emerald."

"I was stupid for picking it," Draco groans.

"Yes."

The two spend about twenty minutes looking over all the rings before Draco and Cass decide on one. Draco took it out of the jewelry box and put it in a velvet ring box his mother also sent over and pocketed in his jacket.

Draco quickly secured the box and took it to the owlery. He called on his owl to deliver back to his mother and headed back to the Astronomy Tower.

"How did Aunt Cissy manage to send you the box without Danneel knowing?" Cass asks as she helps Draco set up.

"I had mother instruct our owl to stay deliver it at the Owlery. I checked for it every day until it arrived."

"Smart. How long did you tell Daphne and Zara to keep her out?"

"Until 5 so we've got like two hours." 

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

"I'm tired," Danneel whines as she makes back from Hogsmeade, "I just want to sleep. Why did we stay out there so long?"

"It was just such nice weather," Blaise smiles.

"But what about dinner?" Zara says as she tries to pull her friend to the Great Hall.

"I'll steal something for the kitchen's later," Danneel mutters, "I need sleep."

"But Danneel-" Daphne protests.

"I'll take her," Draco says appearing out of nowhere and wrapping his arms around her.

"Mhmm, my Prince Charming," Danneel mutters into his neck.

"Come on," Draco laughs.

"How was detention?"

"What?" Draco asks.

"With McGonagall," Danneel states, "You know for turning in stuff late."

"Oh right," Draco replies, "It was fine. Just made me clean."

"Wait?" Danneel says, "Where are we going? The common room is the other way?"

"It's a surprise."

"Dragon, I'm tired I want to sleep," Danneel complains.

"You can sleep after this surprise I promise."

Danneel sighs and continues to allow Draco to take her. She begins to notice the familiar steps toward the Astronomy tower and a small smile tugs at her face.