Chapter 16: Here Comes the Sun

Here comes the sun (doo doo doo)Here comes the sun, and I say

It's all right
Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter

Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
Here comes the sun (doo doo doo)Here comes the sun, and I say

It's all right

~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~>﹏<~

Danneel had been successful in keeping minimal to no contact with Draco despite her chest starting to ache slightly. But tonight was the first night of Prefect rounds and it would be the first time the two of them would be alone and she was dreading it. Blaise had been running interference so she hardly saw him anymore but according to Blaise Draco hadn't talked or have been seen with Melissa since the first night back. But Blaise only with Draco for so many hours of the day.

She had been fretting all day and was thankful that it was Friday so she could just hide away tomorrow but first she had to get through rounds. She grabbed a random sweatshirt and threw it one before waiting in the common room for Draco. He came down later in as casual as he could be, dress pants and a button-up, his badge pinned proudly to his chest which reminded Danneel to fish out her badge from her pocket and put it on.

They began to patrol in silence until Draco spoke up, "You've been avoiding me this whole week so what's up."

Danneel groans and rolls her eyes, "It's O.W.L.S year what did you expect."

"And I get that but the year just started. And I thought we'd be spending more time together because-"

"Because we're getting engaged," Danneel cuts in, "You're right and I was under the same assumption so imagine, imagine, my surprise when I found you on the train sucking faces with some fourth year!"

"You saw that?"

"Of course I saw that! And even if I didn't did you really think I wouldn't find out!"

"Dani-"

"No, I'm not done talking. Before I came here I heard about your flirty and player ways and I thought the girls are just being dramatic but then I come here last year and see that maybe they weren't so dramatic and it pained me but I didn't say anything because you weren't doing anything wrong. You have the freedom to date whomever before we're engaged and I wasn't about to take that away from you. But it yelled me."

"You never said anything," Draco says softly.

"Because I was scared," Danneel explains, "I had all these feelings and I didn't know what to do. That's why I never dated anyone." 

"But what about Tom Buchanan?"

"That was barely anything. We were young and awkward and he was going through some things and I helped him figure it out."

"Figure out what?"

Danneel bit her lip before replying, "He's gay Draco. He was confused so we started dating because I sorta had feelings and wanted to see it was the same I felt for you, it wasn't, and Tom finally came to terms with who he is."

"Oh."

"Yea," Danneel sighs and turns the corner.

"This won't make it better but that's why I dated all those girls. The feelings I had for you were so consuming and overwhelming ti scared me and I thought maybe it was just because of the bound so I dated around but none of them made me feel the way you did. I know that now, this summer helped me confirm those feelings."

"Then what was that on the train?"

Draco licks his lips and looks down, "Because I was ashamed. You... you are so amazing and good and this perfect person and I felt inadequate."

"What?"

"I felt not enough so I went and tried to feel enough." 

Danneel punches him in the arm and Draco cries out in pain.

"You are enough Draco goddammit. And if you need reassurance you come to me. I think you strong and good but you just don't have the personal to help you show it. We are in this together and it's always gonna be me and you against the world. Okay?"

"Okay," Draco sniffs and looks away.

"Hey," Danneel coos and cups his head, "You're okay. I got you and even when you aren't I still got you. We need to lean on each other and that starts with telling each other everything, good or bad."

Draco nods and Danneel wipes his tears away.

"How about we start over and say it's still the summertime. I'm going to ask you a question I should've asked you a long time ago," Danneel smiles, "Will you Draco Malfoy do the honor of becoming my boyfriend."

Draco smiles, "Of course, if you'll still have me."

"Like I said I'll always have you."

"So we're official now," Draco laughs and wiggles his eyebrows, "So that means I can do this in front of our friends."

He doesn't give time for Danneel to respond and kisses her dead smack on. Danneel melts into it for a few seconds before she pulls back, "We are official now but I want to go slow. You hurt me with your parade of girlfriends and I need to know this is different. I know you said it is but I need you to show me."

"Of course," Draco smiles and kisses Danneel's knuckles, "Anything for you."