23 | Worth a Smile

Hope you all had a very merry Christmas, as much as you deserve one <3

Before you start shouting at my face, trust me, I wanted to have this chapter up back in November 27, 2018 to celebrate my first anniversary of starting this story... but life decided against it with a dreadful plot twist, so here I am a month later.

Harry had opened his mouth to say no, but found himself uttering a yes

Harry had opened his mouth to say no, but found himself uttering a yes... he still had something left to say. Harry couldn't hold the words back any longer, nor could he bear having Remus hurt from him even if he didn't act on that sadness.

Even when Harry had expected him to be upset, Remus instead chose to help his former student get away from Snape's clutches and avenge him from those who wronged him.

Remus cared very much about him, Harry could easily tell, and being his ungrateful self, Harry just had to repay Remus by stinging words... that hit Remus with an unsettling reminder of what he had lost.

"I am sorry, even if it's late already." Harry spoke in a desperate voice, ignoring Ron's bewildered expression.

"You amaze me with how often you apologize, mate," remarked Ron, smirking, the words muffled by his full-mouth. "Second nature is what I call it."

Remus was taken aback, raising his eyebrows in confusion, before understanding flashed through his furrowed brow. Remus racked his brain for what could possibly be the source behind the shadow of sadness evident in Harry's eyes, till he found it in his grasp.

Harry was still pleading for forgiveness just for bringing up the topic of his parents, Remus reckoned recalling their last encounter, which for all he knew wasn't a good enough reason.

Harry was pained for him and from how he, Remus, had left as a reaction.

"It's not your doing, Harry," said Remus gently, shaking his head. Harry only looked up at him with disbelief voiced out from his eyes, provoking a sigh from Remus.

Remus refused to leave Harry drown in guilt for all that took place in his life and was out of his control.

"I didn't mean to--"

"Woah, calm down, it's fine," interjected Remus, cutting off Harry mid-sentence, not looking forward to hear any of the apologies that weren't in their rightful place.

Encompassed by empathy, Remus knew that Harry was probably as disturbed as he was, maybe even more, for leaving James and Lily behind just after he had first met them.

"I shouldn't have talked about them," mumbled Harry, knowing that he had caused more pain by opening the emotional door that was better off sealed.

"No, I am actually glad that you brought it up," replied Remus, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Soothing talk pats the pain on the back."