two.

"I thought you were working with that guy–" Kai shrugged his jacket off, toeing his shoes off. "Eliza or something–"

"Elias." He amended, gritting his teeth at the name. His roommate rolled his eyes, waving hands as a dismissal of his mistake.

"Whatever. I thought you had work?" Felix questioned, taking a quick glance at Kai's ruffled hair and narrowed eyes.

The brooding man nodded, letting his bag fall on their couch. He made his way to Felix's room, sighing at the mess in front of him.

Rainbows of clothes scattered from the bed to the floor making it nearly impossible to walk to the closet. The pale man only squeaked an apology, hastily throwing his clothes on the bed.

"I... I'll talk later. I'm too– too angry right now." Kai replied to the unasked questions burning on Felix's tongue. It was his job to question and improve, being an editor for a magazine. It was as natural to him as breathing; something Kai was finding difficult to do, the world of hurt stabbing his heart every second he dwelled on Elias.

"Okay." Felix gently said. He'd always been gentle with him. "I'll make you some coffee, love."

Kai gave a curt nod, burying his hands into the basket on top of Felix's closet. It took a few minutes but he found the shirt rolled inside a hoodie.

He took it to the living room, draping it on the back of the dark red couch.

A cup of steaming coffee was placed on the table. Kai tried to breathe it in, finding comfort in Felix's brew. It reminded him of quiet, lazy days where they wrapped themselves in a quilt to watch their weekly show. Felix always slept halfway through, having predicted the plot with pinpoint accuracy and claiming it was boring. Kai accused him of watching it before and they'd fought about it the entire week.

The memory brought a smile to his tense lips.

"Kai–"

"It's Friday, I don't have work now." He rolled his eyes, watching his friend nestle against the armrest. He took a sip of the hot liquid, wincing when it burned his tongue. "I... I worked with him. No, actually–" It was difficult to not shake when telling the story, knowing the one thing that bugged him would enrage Felix.

Felix hummed when he stopped the retelling, brows pinched together with concern. "But that's not what's bothering you, is it? Come on, out with it."

And his voice was gentle, the kindness lilting his voice to comfort Kai. He could cry.

"He t-told me... told..." Kai sniffled, eyes glistening as memories fogged up his mind. He was nine again, kicking a football as people laughed at his voice. Adults telling him he needed to fix it.

Felix came closer, holding shaky hands and squeezing it. "Take your time."

The words were encouraging enough. He could take an eternity to speak and he knew Felix would never rush him. Kai nodded, gulping down a wet sob.

"He told me... he wouldn't work with m-me if I couldn't... if I couldn't sp-speak pro-properly." He let out a sob, tucking his head into his chest. He wiped the salty tears away, finding it difficult not to curl into himself. "I know I sound... sound stupid but it took me back– t-to school."

Felix looked at him with understanding, cupping his hands and bringing it towards himself. His hand rested on Kai's nape, pulling him forward to rest against strong shoulders. Citrus and berries was all Kai could register, trying not to let tears stain Felix's shirt.

"You're not stupid, Kai." He let his blunt fingers comb through the soft brown of Kai's hair. The other hand found itself rubbing his back up and down, quelling shy hiccups and hoping to provide comfort. "It's okay. He's a dick for that."