Breakfast was served promptly, and P had to remind herself to eat slowly. She was nearing the eighth month of her pregnancy, and seemed to be starving all the time. There was talk about art and furniture and history, P's favorite things, but she seemed unable to focus. Knowing that Bobby wasn't in his office was worrisome, and not knowing what he was doing in Palm Beach was even more so.

One of the guests stood and walked to the podium before calling everyone to attention. "Mrs. Conoroy, to show our appreciation for you, we wanted to get you something we knew you would enjoy."

The guests were buzzing with excitement as the doors to the East room opened and a few aides carried in an object covered with a black cloth.

P was urged to go up to the podium to receive her gift. The cover was pulled off to reveal a large painting. P recognized it immediately. It was a painting of a picture of P, Bobby, Mannon, and Ben on the steps of the Capitol on Inauguration Day. The painting looked very real, but had a sort of dreamlike quality to it. The lines were almost blurry, and the family's faces looked happy and lucid as they seemed to float down the steps in unison.

The donators went on to talk about the artist, the idea for the painting, where the frame was from, blah, blah, blah. P couldn't help but think about how that day had seemed like such a wonderful dream, but it had been the start of a nightmare.

---

P folded some pajamas and dropped them neatly into her suitcase. She examined the racks upon racks of clothing in her huge closet, trying to decide on the best outfit.

P was packing for Princess Poppy's coronation- soon to be Queen Poppy. Though a few months had passed since Queen Charlotte's tragic heart attack, the nation needed a mourning period before the joyous occasion of coronation. P was filled with excitement for her friend and couldn't wait to fly to London the next morning to watch.

P heard a door open. She poked her head out of her walk in closet to see Bobby trudge into the bedroom. He shakily undid his tie and threw it on the ground before sitting on the edge of the bed with his head in his hands.

"Hi, Bob," P called cooly.

Bobby didn't move.

P sighed and went back to packing. She selected a flowy pale purple gown (the invitation specified white tie evening gowns for the women) and marked it with a red tag so the aides knew which one to take to the airport in the morning.

"Bobby, you still there?" P called. There wasn't an answer. P heaved herself up and padded to the bedroom. Bobby remained on the bed. "Do you hear me talking to you?"

Bobby looked up. "What?"

"I have been speaking to you," she said shortly. "Do you want me to pack your bag for you or are you doing it?"

"Pack my bag for what?"

P chewed on her lip. "Poppy's coronation."

"When is it?"

"Tomorrow," P answered, trying to remain patient.

"Why are you packing the bags? We have people to do that."

"I'm not making them do everything for us, Bobby. It doesn't take much to pack a bag."

"Just call one of the aides to do mine."

"No." Bobby looked at P curiously. She clenched her fist. "I'm not calling someone to pack your bag."

"Fine. I'll do it then." Bobby climbed over the bed and picked up a phone off of the bedside table. "Can you send someone to pack my bag for the London trip? Thanks."