Nine: the secrets we'll take to our graves

Simon jumped up on the bed at two in the morning when I was too scared to fall asleep.
I sat there, refusing to turn off the lights, or even close my eyes for longer than I needed to.
I stroked his fur and he flopped down by my side. I slowly ran my fingers through his long fur, sighing.
I looked at the bracelet that I'd gotten from the woman. The code etched in it had ten digits. It reminded me of something I'd seen before.
I pulled the chest from under the bed and opened it up. Inside there were the two bracelets, they were exactly identical except for the numbers.
My mother's was 6556213196
My father's was 6556213202
These were identification numbers, I had one myself. They were given to all government workers.
The codes were like passwords, we used them to secure our stuff at the base. They were more important than our names. When we did roll call it would be using those codes.
I grabbed my cane and walked down to the basement. In the lock for the metal door, I typed my father's code, it was wrong. So was my mothers. Then I realized it needed eleven digits.
Quickly, I went to the wall screen and typed 6556213196 + 6556213202. It came up with the eleven digits I needed and those digits opened the door.
Inside it was a small room with vials behind a glass wall. The vials were filled with a mellow green substance. Taped to the glass it said VERY VOLATILE DO NOT TOUCH
This was the Trena plague, encapsulated in six tiny vials.
Looking at them, I realized. They'd died of their own creation.
It must have been imperfect. They were supposed to create a disease that would only affect the Trena, but it didn't. They caught it. But why did they run away? It couldn't have been anything having to do with contamination because the whole place would be contaminated already.
There was a table in front of the wall, with buttons and controls and I didn't realize I was pressing a button when I put my hand down on the table.
A loud blare shot through the room. I panicked to get it off as red lights started flashing. It was doing something! What was it doing?
I pressed the button again and the flashing stopped along with the blaring. I held my chest, heart still jumping from the panic.
I was not allowed to calm though, because Hadley stood there taking in the environment.
She had her arms crossed. "What have you been doing down here."
I looked at her, masking my fear. In the silence, I planned my words.
She took a step towards me. "What have you been doing?" Her voice was sharp and it cut me.
I sighed. "I've been trying to figure out my parents' death."
Hadley's worry was contagious just like her smile. "You have to put these things behind you." she said, "What do you hope to figure out that the whole police force couldn't?"
"That's just it!" I clenched my fists in frustration. "Think about it! Who owns the police force, our government. Who owns the press? Our government! If Galif doesn't want its citizens to know something they won't."
Hadley looked at me as if I was insane "That's crazy Olivia! This isn't some fictional dystopia, our government wants what's best for us."
I choked on my breath. "They tell us that."
"That's because it's true. Now go to bed, you clearly need some sleep!"
I went to the screen pulling up the reports on the Trena Plague. "My parents were assigned to make a disease to kill off the Trena people!"
And if all of them were gone, the land would be up for grabs to any part of the world.
"They'd be starting a war over land claim!" Haldey barked.
"War is profitable Hadley." My voice was desperate and scared that she wouldn't believe me. "And you know Galif would win, most deadly army, remember? Then we have access to all their gold and resources."
Hadley had calmed down some. "You're jumping to conclusions, and plus, anyone can fake a report."
"Why would they go through all the trouble to fake it for me. You're grasping at straws Hadley!"
Hadley narrowed her eyes at me, taking a wide defensive stance. "Shut up," She pointed at the stairs "Go to bed."
I gave up and went to the bedroom. To make sure I stayed there, Hadley sat by the door.
When the night grew older, I opened my door again to sneak out. But Hadley had stayed true to her word and was still sitting there by the door, but she'd fallen asleep.
If I tried to sneak by her she'd definitely wake up.
I sat by her, keeping enough space that I wouldn't stir her. I held my breath whenever a storm of tears tried to pass through.
A few hours later I closed the door and went to bed properly.