chapter 9

“I said how long have you been following us?” Kai demanded. He took another step closer to her making me step out of the way for him. He was about a few inches away from the shapeshifter now.

    Keoni and I just stayed quiet and made sure to stay out of his way. If he wanted to be close to her than we would let him.

    As in his current state he could flip out. He was very angry. I couldn’t tell if it was a jealous rage or just anger towards her for following us.

    Although my instincts were telling me that he was jealous and now that we knew I had a feeling that if I let Vanni out while around Kai then he would be torn to shreds.

    I could tell that Keoni was thinking the same thing as I was.

    I glanced towards him and nodded. He responded with a nod as well.

    It was as I figured. He was jealous and now that we knew that it was best if I stayed back and out of his way.

    “Uhm…” She hesitated once more.

    “Answer me.” Kai demanded once more stepping even closer. She swallowed hard nervously as he did. Still she remained quiet.

    He grabbed her chin between his forefinger and thumb and forced her to look into his eyes. He was angry and that I think is what made her visibly shrink back.

    “Now tell me.” He demanded once again. His voice may have been softer but there was still clear anger inside.

    “Uhm… I… have been f-following you… since yesterday…” She answered timidly. He nodded clearly ok with her answer.

    “Why have you been following us? How long have you known of our being here?” He asked masking his emotions this time. He may or may not have caught onto our silence.

    “I w-wanted to make sure t-that Vanni was going to be ok.” She said quieter. She was obviously scared of his  response and with good reason to because he was getting visibly angry once again when his name was mentioned.

    “You didn’t answer my question. How long have you known?” He asked again. It was obvious that he was pinching her because she shut her eyes tight in pain.

    Let me out Xander. Let me out. She’s in pain. He’s hurting her. I need to see her.

    Shut it peasant. You can see her through my eyes. There’s no way I’m letting you out now. You want to get us killed?

    No… but…

    Then no buts and just sit tight.

    Fine.

    “Uhm… I’ve known you arrived e-ever since we got to palace with Vanni.” She answered timidly. It was clear in her voice that he was hurting her.

    It was only when a tear escaped her eye that he let go. He was still very much angry though because he looked away from her to the side. He was staring at the floor aimlessly most likely thinking to himself.

    “I-if there isn’t anything more… we could go now?” She asked looking to Keoni and I. It was almost as if Kai just now remembered we were in the room because he immediately took a few large steps backwards to distance himself from her.

    When I looked back to her after he stepped back she looked hurt. She looked down to the floor as if she was embarrassed. She didn’t want to meet our eyes.

    I looked towards Keoni to see him nod. He was ready. I could tell that he knew speaking wasn’t the best idea and I agreed.

    So I looked back to Veronique and nodded silently saying we were ready to follow her into the tunnel. I was hoping to get a little light but I dare not ask.