Chapter 1 - Gale

I could already tell it was going to be a long day. I was at headquarters, going over some plans for a new hovercraft. I kept trying to focus on that, my coffee, anything besides her. But it was no use, Katniss had envaded my thoughts again.

I have thought about her every day since she went back to district 12, three years ago. I think about her hair, her touch, her kisses. I imagine she is here, beside me. I try to dwell on that, but I always start thinking about why she us not with me. I try not to think about Peeta, and how he took her. But I still find myself getting angrier and angrier. But it was also my fault too. It's beceause of the bomb that killed Prim, my bomb. Katniss just couldn't get over the fact the the bombs that killed her were my bombs. So she chose Peeta. Then I get angry about Peeta again. This cycle of thought plagues me every day. I try to envelop myself in my work, but it never works. Life is just one miserable thought cycle after another. Today will be no different.

I turn to my work, trying to focus on it for a moment. I am distracted when I hear the door swing open and someone enters the room. I look up and am surprised to see Johanna Mason walking toward me, hips swaying. Her swaying hips distract me, reminding me of that day in Katniss's hospital room, when she bumped me with her hip and said "Are you afraid of me, Gorgeous?" Lost in thought, I don't notice when she walks past me. As she leaves the room, she catches my eye and winks. I know I shoud have been paying attention to that, but my only thought was "why is she here?"