Beauty and the Beast

Start from the beginning

"What do you want, Asano? This better be urgent, you've been knocking on my door all afternoon. What is it?" I snapped.

"I simply wanted to invite you to dinner. Someone as fair as yourself shouldn't have to eat alone on such a wonderful summer evening." He dipped his head lightly. I deadpanned.

"i'm a peasant. I'm in no way fair at all, Asano. Just give it up already. Please, it's aggravating at this point." I tried to close the door, but he put his foot in the doorway.

"Nagisa, please. Give me a chance." I looked him dead in the eyes,  and opened the door slightly. He grinned as I stepped closer. 

"No." I then shut the door, and went back to cleaning.

...............Nagisa's father...............

The sound of the horse's hooves hitting the stony path echoed through the forest. I was on my way to the next village over, to sell my clocks and music boxes. Normally when I'd make this journey, i was at ease. but today, I'd taken a shortcut, a vain attempt to shorten the journey, but there was something about the air here that made me nervous.

It was a hot summer, but the air was getting colder and colder, and I had started to see frost on the leaves of tree and shrubs. I pulled my cloak closer, shivering as the wind blew past me. The horse suddenly stopped, and when I looked up, we were in front of the biggest castle that I'd ever seen. Which wasn't really saying much, because the only other castles that I'd seen were in picture books. But needless to say, it was huge.

The castle was in full blown winter, snow falling and drifting all over the place. The turrets' tops were dusted with snow, and the windowpanes were so full you could barely see through them. But one thing stood out against this, dare I say, snowy wasteland. A humongous rose bush, covered in prickly blood red flowers.

"I'll get one for Nagisa. He always liked red roses," I muttered to myself. I got off the carriage, and started walking towards the beautiful bush of roses. I noted how the air and ground seemed to be getting colder, the closer I got. 

Once I reached the bush, I extended my arm and reached for the prettiest one. But then I felt a dark presence loom over me. A paw like hand suddenly grabbed my outstretched arm, and a gravely voice spoke.

"Do not take what's mine."

I vaguely heard the horse run away, and then everything went black.

...............Nagisa...............

I was outside, pulling weeds from the garden, when my father's horse suddenly came charging down the path. I jumped in front of it, trying to calm it down.

"Whoa, whoa, buddy, stop for a second, would ya?" I raised my arms, trying to get it to look at me. A thought struck me. 

"Where's father?" The horse whinnied, and I hoped on it's back, hoping that it would lead me to my father. I only hoped.

...............

The ride there was cold. Very, very, cold. I was dressed in light summer clothes, things that did not hold heat well.

When we finally reached our destination, I was both mesmerized, and freezing. I ran up to the castle, recognizing my father's red scarf on the stairs that led to the main doors. I ran up the steps, grabbing it as went. I managed to push the doors open enough for me to slip in, and breathed a sigh of relief when the warm air hit my face. That was until a candle spoke.

"hello!" It spoke.

"FUCK," I screamed. It chuckled, then spoke again.

"No need for such colorful language. I'm Rio, and I assume you're looking for your father?"  I nodded, scared to answer otherwise.