Confrontation

"Anyway, that's what Trevor McGill said," I complained to Qin over breakfast. Our parents were not home yet, so it was just the two of us, nursing Venti cups of hazelnut latte that Qin had brought home with bagels. Since Mother wasn't around to make sure that we were eating healthily, we were free to consume that with heaps of reheated bacon and eggs that I had fried up way earlier in the morning. I had fed Ethan breakfast before he sneaked off home, avoiding the prying eyes of the neighborhood.

 Qin said nothing, but continued sipping from her cup.

"Well?" I demanded.

"Seriously, 小妹, you have such first-world problems."

"God, 姐, can't you just give advice without going into how much the rest of the world is suffering? I really don't know how I can face Amy after this revelation!"

"It's not that difficult. You have been friends since kindergarten. You are mature enough to know how to resolve this misunderstanding without any help. At the very least, you should hear her side of the story before you decide. You know she doesn't think before she talks sometimes. She probably regrets what she said already. What I am more interested to know, is the source of the unearthly noises I heard coming from your room early this morning."

"This morning?" I assumed the face of innocence, while wondering if she meant the quickie Ethan and I had in my bed or the shower we had together?

"Don't play coy with me," said Qin. "You know what I mean."

Giving up, I switched tactics immediately and confronted her. "When did you come home? I didn't hear you coming in. Didn't you come back only now with breakfast?"

Qin gave an unladylike snort. "Like you could hear me over the racket you were making. I came home late last night, and went out this morning to get breakfast so that I could avoid your boyfriend's walk of shame. Besides, I thought you'd be exhausted from all that fucking to make breakfast, even though it's your turn."

My jaw dropped at my saintly older sister's potty mouth.

"Well, thank you then." I finally closed my mouth to murmur. "And for not judging me."

"Like my opinion would have stopped you in the past." Then we both laughed. It was quite amazing how our relationship had improved so much in leaps and bounds until we could talk to each other amicably. "As long as you stay safe. Besides, I have come to realize that Ethan is not William."

"Duh. Of course not."

"That's why I didn't say anything last night. But you should seriously keep your hormones in check when the 'rents come home. Much as they like Ethan, they will not appreciate him bonking you during their absence."

I nodded. "They're coming back later this afternoon."

"Okay, except I won't be back until late this evening. So I kind of need you to cover for me."

"Again? Why?"

"Tell you later. In the meantime, remember ok?"

"Yeah yeah..." I stared deeply into my mug, pondering how I should say to Amy the next time I saw her. I wanted so much to scream at her. How could she said such things about me, even if she wanted to dissuade Trevor McGill from liking me. It was so infuriating, our friendship should be above all that...

"Mai!" Qin snapped her fingers at me, disrupting my reverie. "Emily is here. She's practically leaning on her horn. Go out before the neighbors yell."

"Shoot!" I stuffed my gear into my bag and ran out the door. Emily's eyes were glowing like diamonds against her creamy complexion dotted with sprinkle of freckles. I could tell she had a good time last night after we left.