Chapter Twenty-one

Happy holidays everyone! I hope you're having a wonderful time. Thank you for reading.

Two men greeted us at the end of the path. Their dark suits contrasting against their pale skin gave them an almost ghostly appearance. A young woman laid on the ground besides the taller of the two with just a small trace of blood coming from her neck.

"Is she dead?"

I blurted out before catching myself. I started to go to see if she was alright when Nancy pulled me back with a look telling me not to do anything. I didn't understand but the the taller one didn't seem to take offense.

"Ah! A first timer, no? Then I welcome you to my Makers Dark Soirée. It always brings me great pleasure to see new humans arrive. You might be pleased to know that Ms. Smith is still very much with us. Her blood is far too tasteful to get rid of. I do find that I drink a bit much for her to handle on occasion causing her to get a bit sleepy. Now, I trust your lady here wouldn't of brought you without your black card hmmm"

I fumbled with my purse with one hand not daring to let go of Nancy who was watching him closely. After a few seconds I managed to get the thing open and handed him the card.

"Oh you are a new one, aren't you? He smiled at me. Nancy had enough and stepped between us with a growl "you've seen enough!"

"So I have." He handed me back my card "I do wish you a pleasant evening. If there's anything I can do to make it more enjoyable, you only need to ask."

If they are casting for a new Dracula movie, they need look no further. I nodded to him and practically dragged Nancy along wanting to get away from him before he felt obligated to make things "enjoyable " for himself.

Rock music was playing loud but not deafening. I found myself actually enjoying it even if I didn't know it. I guess it's starting to grow on me since I've been working at the Wolf's Den. The crowd was another thing. It was a bit of everything from those dressed up in suits and dresses, to those in leather leading others around and of course those completely naked. Vampires would feed off human followers or whatever they're called without a care of who saw it. Likewise, the werewolves were not being shy as, like Linnea, were running around both turned and not.

A large brick house stood off in the distance with its double doors wide open. Stone lamps and sconces lined the path up to it and scattered about the area for lamination like some medieval castle courtyard. Several stages were placed around the property with men and women wearing nothing but their underwear and a number. Waiters carried glasses of blood in tuxedos while waitresses carried glasses of wine as they navigated through the crowd.

"Do they have to be so blunt about it?"

I thought I had said it to myself but Nancy answering told me it was out loud.

"That's not for prostitution. It's for vampires who want fresh blood and not the bagged kind. I guess sex could be worked into the price but it can make some humans a lot of money. More than the blood bank and without all the hassles.

I looked at her shocked unable to understand how anyone could allow themselves to be treated like that. This was America not some third world country!
She moved her arm around my waist pulling me closer. As usual it was calming.

"But to allow someone to just bite into you and take what they want like you're a steak... I just don't get it. As for the prostitution-"

"As much as I hate defending the bloodsuckers, prostitution isn't done just by them. Humans do it too."

I personally had no problem with that if it was their choice and Nancy wasn't involved. That I would definitely have a problem with. I raised my brow to her making her laugh. It was intoxicating and even getting her to smile was rare. I love her laugh.