*Side Story* You're a Mean One, Mr. Stark

(A/N): I decided to write a little Christmas story...I actually started it a few days ago but with work and all I didn't get the chance to finish it...so Merry Christmas all!! <3)

~Two days before Christmas Eve~

    "Hey, Bucky!  Help me put the star on the tree!"

    I heard the heavy footsteps of the former HYDRA assassin walk into the large common room of the Avengers compound.  "Sure, doll, want a lift?"  I nodded and he hefted me on his shoulder to reach the top of the the gigantic tree that Clint and Steve had picked up the day before.  It had to be at least twice my height and full of fluffy pine bristles.

    "Hey, (Y/n), did you see where I put my..."  My boyfriend, Tony Stark, walked into the room to see me perched on Bucky's shoulders and huffed.  "Never mind."  I didn't even notice him stalking back out of the room as I was gingerly placing the giant silver star on the top of the tree. 

~The day before Christmas Eve~

"Thor, could you hold these lights up while I secure them?"

    The Asgardian prince stood behind me, holding the strands of light over the doorway as I placed pieces of tape between bulbs to hold them up.

    "(Y/n), feel like grabbing..." Seeing Thor so close to me made his face burn, and again, I didn't notice him enter or leave.

~Christmas Eve~

"Alright, guys!  Movie time!!"  I jumped onto the couch between Nat and Clint and turned to lay across them.  I lifted my head from Nat's lap and pouted at Clint, wiggling my toes.  "Pleeeeeease?"  The archer laughed and began rubbing the soreness out of my feet.  As the three of us were cuddled on the couch watching the animated version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Tony peeked his head into the theater room.

    "(Y-)..." Seeing me snuggled up with the two assassins was enough to break the billionaire.  He looked at the tv, just as the Grinch was beginning to have his wonderful, awful idea.  And then he got one.

    Stalking out of the room, he went into the lab and planned his scheme.

    Long after the three of us went to bed, Tony snuck into the common room and began his task.  It wasn't long before he finished and it was near dawn.

~Christmas Morning~

    "It's Christmas, everyone!  I'm about to make breakfast so we can eat while we..." I stopped suddenly when I reached the common room and found...everything had been changed.  The lights I'd stuck on the doorways were now...all red.  The tree I'd spent hours decorating was re-done with nothing but red and gold ornaments and tinsel.  I balled my fists and screamed.

    "ANTHONY EDWARD STARK!!!!!"

    Everyone in the compound rushed into the common room and saw my decorations changed and the furious expression on my face.  When Tony drowsily stumbled in, my hand crossed his face.  Hard.  "How dare you change my decorations, Tony?  I wanted to make it a nice Christmas for everyone, and of course you had to make it ALL ABOUT YOU!  You are the biggest Grinch of them all!"  I stomped out of the room, tears streaming down my face.

    I shut my bedroom door and put my back to it, sliding down to sit against the cold floor as I cried.  A few moments later, I heard a knock.

    "(Y/n)?"

    "Go away, Tony, you've already ruined enough of this day for me."

    I heard the sound of what I could only assume was Stark's thick skull hitting the other side of the door.  "Please?  Talk to me."

    I stood up, opening the door.  I hadn't bothered to hide the fact that I'd been crying.  "I can't believe you.  You've got to be the most selfish human being I've ever met.  Thanks, but I think I'll spend the rest of my Christmas alone, Mr. Stark."  I slammed the door in his face.

~Dinner Time~

    I finally decided to leave my room, only because it was time for dinner and I knew the others had been working hard in the kitchen.

    When I walked back into the common room, I realized my decorations had been returned.  I heard the Grinch cartoon playing in the background as I looked around to see it looked like it hadn't even been touched.

"He brought back their snoof and their tringlers and fuzzles, brought back their pantookas, their dafflers and wuzzles."

    I turned to see Tony behind me, wearing the most ridiculous Christmas sweater I'd ever seen, and holding a small box.  "I got jealous, ok?  I saw you enjoying your decorating with the others and thought maybe you liked them more than me.  I'm sorry (Y/n). Merry Christmas?"  He held the box out with a hopeful puppy-dog face.

    I took the box from my boyfriend's hand and opened it.  Inside was a beautiful diamond snowflake pendant on a silver chain.  I looked up at him and smiled.  "Thank you, Mr. Stark.  It's lovely."  I rested my hand on his cheek and kissed him softly. 

He held my waist with one hand and kissed back, hiding the fact that he was pulling another box from his pocket with the other.  When he pulled away, he smirked a bit.  "You were right about everything, (Y/n), especially the part about me being selfish.  I want you...all to myself.  So I'm going to ask you..." he opened the box to reveal a diamond ring, "if you'd be Mrs. Grinch...er, Stark."

I didn't even notice the other Avengers standing in the lit doorway watching as I nodded, unable to speak.  As he slipped the ring on my finger, they erupted in cheers.  Hugs and congratulations were given before we made our way to the table to eat.

Tony held up his wine glass to signal a toast.  "Merry Christmas to all of you.  Especially to (Y/n), who made this Grinch's small heart grow more than three sizes.  I love you."  I blew him a kiss as we toasted and he set his glass down.

"And he, he himself, the Grinch, carved the roast beest."