Chapter Three.

The Dauntless cheer and whoop as I turn and walk towards the section. I can't even face my parents after what I just did. But I couldn't feel more happy and free, I'm going to be Dauntless.

Page Break.

Once everyone has chosen their faction, the Dauntless are the first to leave. They charge out of the double doors exiting the Hub, the pain in my hand has subsided, leaving a dull ache. I might of cut my palm too deep, it might leave a scar, but that doesn't concern me. I realize the Dauntless crowd has started running, I twist slightly and take off sprinting. Surprisingly I can keep up pretty well, most of the initiates are trudging behind, they could be faction less. I thank myself for paying close attention to the Dauntless when I was a child. The white sky makes everything brighter, the buildings tower over us, growing mold and rotting. Suddenly, the crowd stops moving. I'm confused until they wrap their hands on the ladder, and they start to climb. I realize I have to act fast, I don't want to be the last one up. I push past people, earning a few complaints. I grab the rung on the ladder with my bad hand, I wince in pain. That was a bad idea, I need to avoid using my wounded hand. I climb quickly, Making sure not to touch the ladder with my injured palm. I finally reach the top, by now the roar of something coming from the other side of the train tracks startles me. A train comes from the corner, rushing past me making my dress slip somewhat. I start to run, I'm not sure what they expect us to do, but most of them are running. Suddenly some of them jump onto the train, they expect us to get on a moving train? I push my legs farther, making them burn. I finally get close enough to a side car, a hand reaches out for me, I gladly take it. I pull myself in using her hand for support.

"Thank you." I manage to breathe out. I put my hands on my knees, bending over panting.

"No problem, my name is Christina." I look at the girl who helped me, she has olive skin, short hair and a pretty face. She's from Candor, I can tell by her clothes.

"My name is." I stop myself, this is a new place, I will start over here. "I'm Tris." I say smiling. I rip a piece of fabric from my dress, wrapping it around my palm.

"Not bad for a stiff." A male voice says from behind me, I turn to see him. It's a dauntless man with too many piercings to count, he can't be that old, maybe eighteen or twenty. He smirks once he sees me glance his way, I just turn around and sit next to Christina. I let my long hair down, it stops right below my waist. I run my fingers through my hair, evening it out to each side. I can't help but notice all of the attention is on me, I can't stand attention.

"What?" I snap, looking around the train car. Everyone's eyes dart away, I cross my arms over my stomach. I shouldn't be so harsh, it's quite rare for an abnegation to deflect.

"Nothing, it's just." Another Dauntless stops mid sentence. "You don't look like a stiff, you look Dauntless." I look at her like she said the most stupid thing I've ever heard. I choose not to say anything I might regret.

"Get ready to jump!" Someone shouts from another train car. Jump? We're seven stories high, no one can jump from here. We approach the Dauntless compound, they begin to jump onto the roof of the building. Everyone stands up, getting ready to jump. The building gets closer, and I can feel my palms begin to sweat. The train roars loudly, breaking my concentration on jumping. I regain it and edge myself towards the edge, pushing myself off with my feet. I close my eyes, as I leap from the train. I open them as I tumble onto the roof, my dress getting ripped and torn. It's nothing serious, but there's a hole near my stomach. It didn't touch my flesh luckily.

"Ooh stiff's flashing some skin. Scandalous." A tall candor boy snickers, along with a few other Candors. Christina stands by my side, while shaking her head.

"That's Peter, he's an asshole. I recommend staying away from him." She laughs. I let a small laugh escape my lips. A dark skinned man stands at the edge of the building, he's talking, probably giving a speech. I approach the crowd.

"So who's jumping first?" The man says. The crowd of transfers and Dauntless borns stay silent. Before I can stop it from coming out, it escapes.

"Me." I say loudly. He steps down from the ledge, I take his place, facing the giant hole were supposed to jump into. I step off the ledge, I'm not afraid because I know they would not kill their initiates yet. Emphasis on yet. The fall is thrilling, I should be terrified, but I'm a different person now. Something cradles my body, it's a net. I let out a hysterical laughter, the net shifts and I am rolled to the side. A hand reaches for mine, I grab a hold of it and yank myself out. I'm greeted with a handsome man who can't be older than eighteen, he has eyes I could get lost in. They're a deep shade of blue, so mesmerizing. I've been staring too long, and so has he.

"Can't believe it. A stiff to jump first?" A girl says from behind the handsome man.

"There's a reason she left them Lauren." The man says. His voice is beautiful. "What's your name?" I'll stick with Tris. I look away from him, probably blushing like wild.

"Tris." I say smiling. He pulls me down finally, setting me on the ground.

"First Jumper Tris!" The man shouts in the cavernous room. A big crowd of Dauntless come out of the shadows, congratulating me. I turn around observing the room, taking in the atmosphere. A hand rests on my back, it belongs to the handsome man. "Welcome to Dauntless."