Ch. 19 Just Starve to Death

Start from the beginning

The corners of Xiyan's lips curled up. "Actually, I wasn't the one who came up with it. It was Third Young Madam who taught me how!"

Senior Servant Gui nodded. "All of you, do serve Third Young Madam to the best of your ability. Who knows if you might make her happy at some point and she'll teach you a few secret recipes in return? You won't have to worry about your livelihood or that of your future descendants."

Fuyan's eyes glimmered calculatively.

Although there was plenty for every single dish, Senior Servant Gui and the four maidservants tried to finish everything. They felt like they were about to burst.

The five of them held onto their stomachs in pain, but none of them regretted it.

Mingyan stood up and rubbed her swollen stomach in an exaggerated manner, causing Fuyan and Xiyan to smile.

"Look at you eat! Be careful of overeating!" Senior Servant Gui purposely tried to frighten Mingyan with a stern face.

However, Mingyan wasn't fooled. "Momo, it was just too delicious! Once I started, I couldn't stop!"

Senior Servant Gui looked at the plates on the table. There were only a few pieces of meat and some soup left. She turned to Xiyan and said, "Xiyan, bring the leftovers to the kitchen; we can have these with some rice tomorrow."

The dishes that were made with Third Young Madam's secret recipes were simply too delicious. Senior Servant Gui found it a waste to throw away even the tiniest scraps of the meal.

Xiyan happily took the leftovers to the kitchen.

When she passed by the entrance of the study she spotted Laiyue staring at her with bright eyes, "Sister Xiyan, do you still have any more food?"

Xiyan furrowed her brows and hid the boxes of food behind her. She raised her chin as she said guardedly, "What are you asking that for?! Don't tell me that you're not getting fed while serving Third Young Master. He got two whole boxes of food!"

Since she had been snubbed by Laiyue before, she couldn't help sounding a little mocking as she talked.

"That had nothing to do with me." Laiyue pointed towards the study behind him. "It was all Third Young Masters orders. I haven't eaten anything since afternoon, I'm so hungry that my front is probably stuck to my back right now."

When he finished speaking, Laiyue's stomach grumbled.

Xiyan gave him a good look, as if trying to tell if he was lying.

"Miss Xiyan, we're all servants, you can't possibly not know! No servant eats together with their master!" Laiyue was good at talking, and he managed to find Xiyan's weak spot.

"Are you sure you really didn't eat?"

"I really haven't eaten! See, my stomach's even growling! You heard that, right?"

Xiyan pursed her lips and placed the boxes of food down on a stone table nearby. She took out some leftover rice and dishes from inside. "There's not much left anyway. There's only a few pieces of braised meat, soup and a bowl of rice. Just take it to hold off your hunger for now!"

Laiyue swallowed visibly, "It's good enough as long as it's edible. I'm not too picky!"

Xiyan glared at him and poured the soup and pieces of meat onto the bowl of rice. It looked exactly like the modern meal, braised meat with rice.

She pushed the bowl to Laiyue, "Here, take it! Remember to give the bowl and chopsticks to the old servant in the kitchen to wash when you're done!"