Broken Bones 🔬

Writer: TanChuaMT
Genre: Sci-fi
Suggested by: S-Qwer
Editor: S-Qwer

♤♤♤♤♤

I looked at my feet, I was standing on the edge of a building, daring myself to jump.

"Come on, wimp! I thought you said you would jump. What are you waiting for? A push?" Jackson asked with his gang of friends laughing with him.

Come on, Gabe, it's only a two story drop. You can do it. Do this and they will never bother you again.

I took one step forward.

All that was left was just one more step. One more, and everything would end; it would all go away.

I took one final breath, clenched my hands and jumped.

~~~~~

I woke up in a hospital bed. A nurse was checking my vitals before noticing that I was awake. "Good you're awake."she said putting down the chart she was holding in her hand.
"You know, you shouldn't jump off buildings; even if it's only two stories."

"Hello, I'm Doctor Reinhart and this is Mr Wiston," a doctor said. He came into the room with another person and I began to feel embarrassed.

"So, what's the damage doc?" I asked the doctor as the kind nurse gave him my chart. "Well, you're alive with a record numbers of broken bones for a 15 year old. We couldn't save your leg so...." he said monotonously.

He pulled away the blanket and I saw a robotic like leg.

"Think of it as an upgrade to your normal prosthetic leg. It will synchronize with the nerves in your body to move. Of course it is also stronger than your average leg and you would have to change it a couple times over the years but, it's better than a wheelchair," He said, trying to doing encouraging.

I took a couple of minutes to process what he said before coming to realization. "So, what do you think?" he asked me.

I thought for a moment.

"I think I'd rather be homeschooled for the next few years and probably will never be able to leave the house," I said looking at my 'leg'.

"Well, I'll come over every weekend to check on your process. It is still a prototype but I worked day and night to get it done when I heard about your condition. This is a huge step for scientists everywhere; scientists like me."

"Oh," I said ruefully.

~~~~~

A few days in the hospital and I was finally able to return home and since Mr Winston gave me a lift, I invited him in.

As I unlocked the door, my eyes were met with piles of dirty laundry, some empty boxes of pizzas on the floor and an exhausted brother lounging on the couch.

"Gabe! Gabe! You're home!" My little brother, Vance said as he ran up to me from the kitchen.

"Hey, there you little brat! Meet Mr Winston. Mr Winston, meet Vance."

The two of them exchanged greetings and I stopped them midway.

"I'm sorry, Mr Winston. I know I said that you can check my leg but can you do that tomorrow? I have a lot of housechores to finish," I told him as he nodded and agreed with a smile.

He turned and waved goodbye to Vance before leaving in his car.

"Want to help me clean up?" I asked Vance and he bolted away into his room at my question. Kids. Never wanting to do anything with chores.