Chapter 38: All I could do was stare in wonder and horror...

Beginne am Anfang

"For real what?"

"They're actually going to try and kill someone?!" 

I'm just done with him.

"Alright, you guys understand now?" I asked, completely ignoring John's protests.

"Yes ma'am." Alex saluted.

"Good." And with that I started forward towards the wide opening between us and the enemy.

________________________

Janet's POV

"What's going on up there?" I asked Rick as we reached a long line of cars.

"It looks like they're redirecting the traffic back. Something must've happened," he responded.

"Drive on the side of the road. We need to get through no matter what, Rick."

"I know, sweetie," he pulled over to the side and sped forward, passing the long line of cars. We soon reached what looked like a barricade preventing cars from going forward. 

"They're not cops," Rick answered my question. Two black SUVs completely blocked the road. Four men could be seen in the front, waving for cars to turn back around. "I have a bad feeling about this."

"I'll take care of this," I unfastened my seatbelt and stepped out of the auto. Leaving my husband behind the wheel, I made my way over to the men. "Hi," I waved timidly, "My husband and I have to get through. Could you please make way for us?"

"Sorry, ma'am. This road is closed down for maintenance. No one goes in, no gets out," he sounded like he was reciting instructions.

"No one gets out? Well where are the workers going to sleep tonight?"

"No, ma'am, I didn't mean that literally-"

"Doesn't matter. We really need to go through. This is your last chance, young man," I could be wasting precious time because of these bozos. 

"Like I said ma'a-"

"Call me 'ma'am' one more time."

"I apologize, ma'am... oh-"

I punched him straight on the nose and his head ricocheted against his SUV parked behind him. The loud thump caused his three other companions to divert their attention to me.

"What the-?! Ma'am, you're in a lot of trouble now!" One yelled before stomping his way to me. Before he could get his hands on me, I landed a swift quick against stomach and he recoiled. 

"Stop! I'll have to use force against you, ma'am, and I don't want to- oof!" I swung my leg around and swiftly connected with his jaw, instantly knocking him out.

"Aaargh!" 

With two punches to face and neck, the last guy fell to a heap on the floor. That oughta teach them.

"What did they say?" Rick asked me as I settled back to my seat.

"Ma'am."

He chuckled humorously, "I remember when I made that mistake..." he slammed the car through the SUVs, making our way to the other side, "Never again."

____________________________

Annelise's POV

"New rule!" Victor yelled from the sidelines, "No weapons!" he smiled a brilliant smile. A brilliantly ugly smile.

"Ugh. This is so unfair," I half-heartedly complained. I tossed my gun behind me, making sure it landed next to my brothers. They can defend themselves with it if worse comes to show. I pulled out two knives I had on the side of my legs and tossed them behind, along with extra bulllets I didn't know I still had.