Chapter Fifteen

The day was nearly through when Ylvir arose. He had been so exhausted from his days of travel in addition to the long night of merriment that he slept most of the day away. Of course, the cursed men didn't mind hosting him for another day. In fact, they were quite enthusiastic to have him longer. Ylvir himself was somewhat reluctant as he did not wish to overstay his welcome, though when he said as much, the men would all wave it off, calling it nonsense. After this happened enough times, Ylvir was once again comforted and felt relaxed in his own skin.

But as the men merry-ed another night away, Ylvir began to feel an inkling of dread. As much as he felt comfortable now, he knew that it would make hiding away all that much harder. He was welcome here, but he could only dream of being welcomed anywhere else. He could wish life was more like the stories he read all he liked, but he knew from experience that reality rarely met expectation. Eventually, his disheartened state became apparent enough for the drunken men alongside him to take note.

"What's on yer mind, eh Ylvir?" one questioned, slinging a disfigured arm over his broad, though slumped, shoulders.

Ylvir smiled weakly. "Nothing, much. I'm just nervous for tomorrow. Being around people sets me on edge."

"Nuffin' ter be a-worryin' 'bout," another, much drinker man slurred across from him. Abreast, that's what Ylvir thought he said before his neck wavered enough to drop his head on the table with a bang. Ylvir watched him with concern until he angled his head to the side lifting a weak finger. "They'll love ya! If'n not so, be us they answer to!"

"Yeah," a nearby few cheered with lifted tankards, some dissolving into drunken cackles.

Ylvir's smile broadened, becoming more genuine. "Thank you."

"Our pleasure," the one beside him shouted, a little too loudly for Ylvir's liking.

Ylvir looked at each of these men, thinking again on what Igleck said to him the night before. He may have been born cursed, as he learned not so long ago, but these men each had their own lives, jobs, maybe families. And it was all taken away by their curse. In comparison, Ylvir's challenges seemed almost trivial. He had been raised by wonderful parents, taught their craft, and he knew they both still loved him, despite it all. He could only assume that if these men were still in the castle, accepting each other's company, it pained him to think it was perhaps because no one else would.

He knew that the consequences of asking the question that burned within him may be of some severity, but he needed to know, "What did you all do before your curse?"

Immediately, the noisy folk halted their joviality, silence filling the hall.

"Before the curse?" one asked.

Ylvir, now extremely wary, nodded slowly. "Yes."

Another piped up with, "What's it to ya?"

Ylvir lowered his head and shrugged. "I'm just curious. I want to know what normal life is like. It's part of why I'm traveling."

All the men looked between themselves, seemingly understanding one another without the use of words.

"Well, some of us 'ere were bounty hunters and the like," one of them told him. "It's what brought to this place."

They all nodded in agreement, then another spoke, saying, "Some of us were merchants, looking for new goods to sell for a pretty penny."

"A few were desperate beggars."

"But in the end, we were all thieves."

The silence permeated the halls with great solemnity. It seemed as though each of the men were reliving their distant memories of what they lost, regretting the actions that led to the loss. Until one spoke up to break the thick silence.

"Speak for yerselves. I used to be a 'andsome prince," it boasted loudly.

Another scoffed. "If you were a prince, I was a court jester!"

"You weren't? Coulda fooled me!"

They all bust into raucous laughter, many of them falling into the same pattern of jeers and jests at their previous identities. Even Ylvir found himself laughing loudly and making a few small jokes of his own. He felt better than ever, and his previous fears were laid to rest, knowing that he had found a place at least among these men. But he could not rid himself of the lingering dread of losing control. He felt if anything, that would be the one fear he would never completely let go of, not while he was...well, himself.

It was another night of heavy sleeping for him, though this time Dandy did him the pleasure of waking him up with a great deal of squawking and the employment of her talons. Ylvir didn't much care for her method, but he was grateful not to lose another day, which he felt was precisely the reason she did it. Unlike himself, Dandy never grew comfortable in the presence of the cursed men.

With bleary eyes and fresh scratches, Ylvir gathered his things together only to find his pack was heavier than he remembered. When he looked inside, he saw that his provisions had been restocked, and next to that was a black cloak, much like the one his mother had gotten for him, only a richer material, and--when he tried it on--better fitting. He also found shoes and gloves, black as well, and tailored to fit him just as well as the cloak did. He wondered where the things had come from, thinking perhaps it was the men who had given these things to him. He would have to thank them.

As soon as his things were assembled, he made his exit, Dandy on his shoulder, pack in hand. He was only somewhat reluctant to leave the men he had so quickly bonded with, though they looked even more torn over the matter, their mushed and cracked faces sullen as he began to say his parting words.

It was never goodbye. To each he said, "Thank you. Until next time," with a smile on his face, and a shake with his rough paw.

A few of them said goodbye, some reciprocated his 'next time' sentiment, many wished him luck or said they would miss him, but they all called him brother.

When Ylvir came to Igleck, the small man smiled broadly at him. "I see the castle has provided for ya. You truly are always welcome. Remember that."

Ylvir took a moment to realize he was speaking of the provisions, only then remembering that the mystical place provided for its inhabitants, then nodded. "I will."

"Yes, but next time you'll be paying room and board," one of the men jeered, eliciting chuckles from those close by, including Ylvir, himself. "So bring yer gold!"

"Sure," Ylvir chuckled, then pulled out his penny whistle. "Or I can play for my keep."

"Oi, why didn't you tell us you could play sooner," one shouted, a few offering the same sentiments.

Ylvir was slightly stunned by their enthusiasm for his ability to play, but took it in stride as he his sharp teeth gleamed in a broad grin. "I can play for you now, if you like."

He wasn't as surprised when they gave their noisy encouragement, and he was only just able to keep his smile tame enough to play.

As soon as he breathed, the men could tell he was good at his craft, only for their suspicions to be confirmed as a jaunty tune skipped out of the small whistle, lifting their feet in into light dancing, carrying them into lively jigs. They danced with lightness and laughter until their energy waned, and as it did, so did the song. The notes slowly melted into a warm melody, filling their minds with peace, and their souls with contentment, and they swayed to it like blades of grass in a summer breeze.

Once Ylvir finished, he was immediately applauded, giving him a taste of what might've been, had that night gone as planned. The men approached him, clapping gnarled hands to his feathery shoulders, appraising his talent.

"Thank you, thank you," he chuckled. "But I really must be going."

The men only protested a little before they were waving him off.

It was somewhat strange for him to be on the other side of the castle's doors. He felt the cool breeze ruffling his feathers, running through the fur on his face. A shiver of dread ran down his prickly spine as he detected the faintest hint of coming winter. However, he also was more sure of the salt he tasted on the air, drifting from the ocean same as the last time he was out. It reminded him of his purpose that he could now truly look forward to.

With new positivity, Ylvir and Dandy began the last leg of their journey down the mountain, towards Tigo Bay.