Chapter 34 - He'll Have to Go

Start from the beginning

"This is the first time I've been able to do anything with a friend in the whole time I've lived with you!" she yelled, wiping away the tears that had sprung to her eyes.  "I was stuck at home all summer while you got to go out with your friends!"  His mouth fell open slightly at her words, but then his eyes became hard again and she knew he didn't care.  "If you don't take us," she warned, stepping closer to him and glaring up at him.  "I'll never forgive you, Doug.  Never!"

"Sorry it took me so long," Louise chirped behind Jess.  "Are we – ready?" she added more hesitantly, as Jess and Doug continued to glare at each other.  Then Doug broke eye contact, his shoulders dropping.

"Let's go," he muttered, heading to the driver's door.  Jess sagged with relief, and then plastered a smile on her face before she turned around.

"Is everything okay with you two?" Louise asked worriedly.

"Yes, it's fine," Jess insisted, opening the car door.  "We just had a stupid argument, that's all."

"Oh, okay," Louise said, still looking worried while Jess got in and scooted across the bench seat.

"Thanks a lot for doing this, Doug," Louise said, leaning forward to look at him after sitting next to Jess, but he just grunted and turned the key in the ignition.

While they drove to Main Street, Jess could feel the tension radiating off Doug.  To cover the silence, she struck up a conversation with Louise about their classes. Thankfully, Louise didn't seem to notice, chatting about which teachers she thought were going to be the easiest and which the hardest.

When they parked in front of the drugstore, Jess reached into the back seat and got the sack that held Louise's gift before getting out of the car.  Doug was standing at the door holding it open for the two of them and as she came forward with Louise, she prayed desperately Marty was nowhere in sight. 

Stepping inside, she looked around but the only person she saw was Mr. Dwyer walking into the back room.  As they headed for the soda fountain, she felt somewhat relieved and hoped Marty was already off on his bike. They each took a stool at the empty counter and Jess took another look around over her shoulder.

"What's that?" Louise asked, getting her attention.  She was pointing to the paper sack on Jess's lap.

"Oh, it's your birthday present," she said, smiling and handing it over.

"Really?" Louise said, looking touched.  "Thanks, Jess!"

While she opened the sack and peered inside, Jess glanced over her shoulder to scan the store again and did a double take when she noticed Doug.  He was hunched forward with his shoulders curved inward, his face pale and grim as he stared at the counter ahead of him.  It was obvious he was still angry he'd been forced to come.  Then she heard paper tearing and turned her attention back to Louise.  Not wanting Doug's sour mood to ruin Louise's birthday, Jess leaned forward a little to block her view of him.

"These are swell!" Louise exclaimed, looking at the books in her hands.  "Thank you, Jess!"

"I hope you like them.  I've read those over and over," Jess said, smiling at the happiness in her friend's eyes, and then she heard Doug snarl, "You!" and her head snapped around. 

To her horror, Marty was at the wall behind the counter, lifting a white apron off a hook.  While he put it on, he deliberately kept his eyes averted, avoiding looking at either of them. 

Turning to Doug, she immediately became alarmed.  If he'd seemed upset before, now he was positively livid, his face reddening as he glowered at Marty.  His body looked coiled, like he was about to launch himself over the counter and desperate to stop him for doing something, she put her hand on his knee and squeezed as hard as she could.