4

"I heard voices, who were you speaking to?"

Zynah flinched by the tone of his voice, but within a split second, she regained her composure. "The neighbor was here." She replied, curtly.

Bilal didn't move, his gaze a dark storm cloud gathering above her. "The neighbor!" He echoed, anger dripping off his tone. "Did you just say that?" He questioned, taking a menacing step forward and invading her space.

swallowed hard, her throat suddenly dry. "I said the neighbor was-" The sentence died on her lips as his callus palm struck her left cheek mercilessly.

"How dare you! After giving you an order, you defy me?" He pointed a finger to his chest.

She remained silent and it only irked him further. His brows furrowed and he gnashed his teeth in exasperation. "No one! I repeat, no one can ever come into this house henceforth, without my permission. You cannot go out either." He spatted. "Is that perfectly understood?"

Zynah could only nod her head.

"What was that?" He cocked a brow.

"Alright." She replied.

"That's much better." He remarked and ambled away.

Tears prickled Zynah's eyes. Her lips quivered and her legs gave out, making her collapse to the ground. She thought she had already gotten accustomed to the way she was being treated like some piece of trash, but apparently, she was wrong. She was a human after all. No matter how strong she thought she was, she was slowly crumbling inside. She couldn't bear his attitude towards her anymore and the same time, she couldn't escape even if she wanted to. The reason was embedded in her heart like a glue.

She smiled sadly and subconsciously her mind went down a memory lane.

"What?" Zynah asked, perplexed. "Bilal is here?"

"Yes, Ya Zee. What are you going to do now?" She asked, worriedly.

"I know what to do. Listen attentively, Ramlah; you must not let anyone know he's here, okay? I will go speak to him now."

"I got this. Please be careful."

"I will." Zynah replied and dashed out of the room. She dashed back in seconds later and took one last good look at her reflection in the mirror. She could see her sister from the mirror laughing and shaking her head. She smiled back before dashing out once more.

Emerging from the gate, Zynah motioned Bilal to hide quickly. He was hesitant at first, but later complied. She looked around once more and when she was sure no one saw her, she sneaked out of the house and hurried towards him. Before she could comprehend what was happening, he wrapped his strong arms around her, engulfing her in a tight hug.

Zynah stilled for a moment and when she finally regained her senses, she pushed him away with all the strength she could muster. Tears instantly welled up in her eyes. "What was that for? Don't you know it's haram! How could you!" She reprimanded.

Bilal held both of his hand up in the air in surrender. "I'm sorry, my Zee, please forgive me." He apologized. "I'm also aware it's forbidden for me to touch you right now, but I couldn't help it. I missed you so much. We haven't had the chance to spend quality times together and it's all because of your family. They just won't stop meddling in our affairs."

Zynah's heart melt by his explanation. She also missed him just as much and didn't know the perfect way to express it to him and the moment. Her lips instantly curved into that beautiful dimpled smile of hers and her demeanor softened. "I missed you too."

Bilal eyes glowed with immense love for the lady standing in front of him and a smile curled up his lips as well, showing his beautiful, double side dimples.

They both had dimples, but Bilal's were on both side of his cheeks, while Zynah's was just on one side of her cheeks - her right cheek.

"Have you talked to your parents again?" Bilal inquired. His gaze never wavering from her beautiful face.

Zynah's demeanor hardened a bit and her head hung low.

"What's wrong? What did they say?" He inquired, restlessly.

"As usual." She replied, melancholically.

"But why are there like that? I just don't understand the type of parents who think it's okay to deprive their children of their happiness." He finished with a sigh and when Zynah didn't reply, he took her hands in his slowly and directed his gaze straight into hers.

Before Zynah could react, she was yanked back forcefully and when she was turned around, a tight slap met her face.

✴ ✴ ✴

Zynah was abruptly brought back to reality and her hand cupped her cheek. She could still feel the sting there even after three years. The memories of everything that happened on that fateful day were still fresh on her mind. She couldn't forget. How could she even forget when it was the day her world started to crumble?

Not recognising her surrounding, momentarily, tears blurred her vision and this time, she didn't try to stop the tears from falling. She allowed them flow freely this time. Just this one time and she would never allow it happen again - she made the promise to herself. More tears prickled her eyes. How she wished she could turn back the hands of time and turn everything back to how it used to be.

"Zynahh!!!" Bilal's hoarse voice echoed through the house. By the tone of his voice, Zynah knew he was not in a very good mood and she was not in any way ready for his brutality. She was aware he would get even angrier if she ignored him and that was exactly what she did. She heaved a sigh and sauntered to the kitchen to continue with what she was doing before the neighbour interrupted her.

She was just starting to peel some potatoes when she felt a rough hand grab her by the arm from behind. She didn't need to be told who it was. The touch was familiar and who else would dare do that? They were alone with hardly any visitors in the hellhole, disguised as a home.

He turned her around roughly, making her drop the knife on the floor accidentally. It fell right in front of her foot, barely missing it.

She raised her head and directed her gaze straight into his, showing absolutely no sign of fear or cowardice.

"Didn't you hear me calling?" He boomed.

"I did." She replied and slowly, she pulled her arm back from his hold and turned around to continue with what she was doing. With a shaky hand, she picked another knife and resumed peeling the potatoes. To say she wasn't afraid of him picking the knife and stabbing her in the back continuously until she bled to death would be a blatant lie. She would not be surprised if it actually happened because she had completely lost all trust in him and in there relationship. He was capable of doing just that.

"And?" He questioned.

"As you can see, I'm busy." She replied with all the confidence she could muster, her back still turned on him.

For a split second something flashed in his eyes - an emotion she couldn't pinpoint and just as soon, it disappeared. "I... I... Forget it! I'm going out and I won't be back until evening." He didn't wait for her reply before turning around and walking out of the kitchen.

Hearing the front door slam, Zynah heaved a deep and long sigh of relief. She was glad he was out. Few seconds later, she heard the sound of the door being locked with a key - it wasn't a new act to her, so she had no reason to be surprised. She was grateful to Allah for getting rid of him, even of it wasn't permanent yet. She could only wish and pray to Allah to free her from his captivity soon.