Chapter 23: Hail Thèoden King

Estelwen (Alastegiel) POV

“Breathe the free air again, my friend." Gandalf says to him.

Éowyn helps king Thèoden stand up.

“Dark have been my dreams of late." King Thèoden says looking around the room.

“Your fingers would remember their old strength better if they grasped your sword." Gandalf says, and a guard brings the sword.

The King grabs his sword and stares at it. He turns his gaze to Grima. The guards take Grima outside and throw him down the stairs.

“I've only ever served you, my Lord." Grima says.

“Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!" King Thèoden says to him.

“Send me not from your sight." Grima pleads.

King Thèoden holds up his sword and is about to bring it down on Grima. I stop him before he can and I say to the King, “No, my Lord! No, my Lord. Let him go. Enough blood has been spilled on his account."

I extend my hand to help him up, but he just spits on it then runs of yelling, “Get out of my way!"

“Hail Thèoden king!" A guard shouts.

Everyone bows to him, and so do I. King Thèoden looks around and asks, “Where is Théodred? Where is my son?"

He finds out that his son, Théodred, has died. They have a funeral for him, then we let him be alone at his sons grave. I head back to the Golden Hall talking to Éowyn.

“Éowyn, I am so sorry for your loss. If you don't mind me asking, was he your brother?" I ask her.

“I do not mind you asking. And no, he was my cousin. King Thèoden is my Uncle." She answers me. I just nod my head. “What is your name?"

“Alastegiel." I say, I feel so bad for lying to her. She just nods her head.

We talk for a while and we become really good friends. After a while, Gandalf comes in with two children, who and a girl. Someone goes and gets them food.

While they are eating, Éowyn speaks, “They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot and tree."

“Where is mama?" The little girl asks.

“Shh." Is all that Éowyn says.

“This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Saron. Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight." Gandalf says to King Thèoden.

“You have 2,000 good men riding north as we speak. Éomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king." Aragorn adds. So that must of been the horse-master's name from when we were searching for Merry and Pippin.

“They will be 300 leagues from here by now. Éomer cannot help us. I know what it is you want of me but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war." King Thèoden says.

“Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not." Aragorn states.

“When last I looked Thèoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan" Thèoden says to him, clearly aggravated.

“Then what is the king's decision?" Gandalf asks the King.

~~~~~~

I am so enjoying writing this today! :) I think I will write another chapter!!!!! Also, sometime in the next few chapters, I will do Legolas POV. So sorry about not doing his POV in previous chapters, but some are soon to come!!! :)

                                                                ~Ellethwen <3