Chapter 11: What did I do?

Estelwen (Alastegiel) POV

Haldir? I thought to myself. He was my best friend when we were little. I did not know if he was dead or alive. I was so happy to see him, I almost ran up to him to give him a hug. Then I remembered, he does not know who I am anymore. He was one of the people who's memory of me got taken away.

“Mae govannen, Legolas Thranduilion. (Welcome, Legolas son of Thranduil)" Haldir says to Legolas.

“Govannas vîn gwennen le, Haldir o Lórien. (Our Fellowship stands in your debt, Haldir of Lórien.)" Legolas says back to Haldir.

Haldir then turns to Aragorn, “A, Aragorn in Dúnedain, istannen le ammen. (Oh, Aragorn of the Dúnedain, you are known to us.)"

Aragorn bows to him, “Haldir."

“So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves. Speak words we can all understand." Gimli says. I know that Gimli is going to say something to anger Haldir.

“We have not had dealings with dwarves since the dark days." Haldir says to Gimli.

“And do you know what this dwarf says to that?" Gimli says. Here it comes, I think to myself. “Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul! (I spit upon your grave!)"

“That, was not so courteous." Aragorn says to Gimli while slapping his shoulder.

“You bring great evil with you, you can go no further." Haldir says as his gaze turns to Frodo. I wish I could go talk some sense into him.

Aragorn pulls Haldir aside and starts to talk to him, “Boe ammen veriad lín. Andelu i ven! (We need your protection. The road is fell)"

I decide not to listen to their argument. I start to think of Gandalf, and all the memories of him. I miss him so much. I really do hope that he could still be alive like I told Frodo. Although it is a small possibility that it's true.

I got so lost in thought that I almost did not notice Haldir come over. He still has not noticed me. He is walking up to Frodo and says, “You will follow me."

                                                 ***  

Soon we come to a cliff and Haldir speaks, “Caras Galadhon. The heart if Elvendom on earth. Realm of the Lord Celeborn and of Galadriel, Lady of light."

We then walk up a series of steps. When we get to the top, we all come to a halt. Lothlórien is still as beautiful as I remembered it, from so long ago. Then suddenly a thought came to my mind, This is the first time I've seen Galadriel in years. I quickly push it out of my mind.

Then I see them, Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel. I can't help but smile upon seeing them. Lord Celeborn begins to speak, “The enemy knows you have entered here. What hope you had in secrecy is now gone. Nine that are here, yet ten there were set out from Rivendell. Tell me, where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him. I can no longer see him from afar."

“He has fallen in to Shadow." I hear Galadriel's voice for the first time in a long time. Still as calm and sweet as I remember it.

Then Legolas talks, “He was taken by both Shadow and flame. A Balrog of Morgoth. For we went needlessly into the net of Moria."

“Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life. We do not yet know his full purpose." Galadriel says.

“What now becomes of this Fellowship? Without Gandalf, hope is lost." says Lord Celeborn.

I was about to say there is always hope, but Galadriel started to speak again, “The quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail... to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest, for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight, you will sleep in peace."

                                                ***

While trying to get some sleep, I heard elves singing. “A lament for Gandalf." I hear Legolas say.

“What do they say about him?" Merry asks Legolas.

“I have not the heart to tell you. For me, the grief is still too near." Legolas answers.

“I bet they don't mention his fireworks. There should be a verse about them." I look over to Sam as he continues to speak, “The finest rockets ever seen. They burst in stars of blue and green. Or after thunder, silver showers. Came falling like a rain of flowers. Oh, that doesn't do them justice by a long road."

I could not sleep so I decided to go for a ride. I made sure to tell Aragorn before I did. When I found the stables, I could not find anyone to ask if I could borrow a horse. Then all of the sudden Haldir came in. He noticed me, I saw a strange glint in his eye.

“Did you want to go for a ride?" He asked me.

“Sure." I answered.

After we saddled up the horses, he showed me a trail we could take. After we were a fair difference, we both get off our horses and walk side by side. With our horses walking on the other side of us.

He turns to me, looking like he's deciding something. Then he says to me, “Is that really you, Estelwen?"

I was so shocked that at first I did not say anything. Then I said to him, “Yes, you remember me?" I anticipated what his answer would be.

“Yes, but how come I forgot about you?" He says looking confused. I quickly give him a hug, and hold back the joyful tears. He hugs me back. When we pull away, I explain everything that happened.

When I finished, he asked, “Thanks for clearing that up for me. I would like to talk to you again before you go. I should get back before they start wondering where I am."

“Ok, don't forget you have to call me Alastegiel."

“Right, bye Alastegiel."

“Bye Haldir."

After he leaves, I got back on my horse and started following the trail again. After a while, I heard a horses footsteps behind me. I stopped and turned around. It was Legolas. What was he doing here? I have not spoken to him since I hit my head.

“Hi Legolas. What are you doing here?" I ask him as he comes next to me.

“I came to talk to you." He answers. I can tell something is wrong.

“What about?" I ask him, confusion written all over my face.

“You should know, how could you be so careless?" He starts to shout at me.

I am somewhat scared. Legolas has never acted like this before. “What did I do?"