11. Iris

Iris

If it had been with anyone but Mason, I would've described this first date as a disaster. But this date was with Mason, and because of that it was absolutely perfect.

We spent a few hours just sitting and talking at the park, our conversation flowing from subject to subject. We laughed at the group of teenagers not too far away, clearly up to no good. Mason told me about his very brief rebellious stage in high school, describing how he used to style his hair all to the side like an emo kid.

After a while we ended up talking about how our very first encounter.

"What did you think of me when you first saw me?" Mason asked, provably already aware of the answer I was about to give him.

"You know I thought you were cute. You caught me checking you out, remember?" I giggled, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"I know that." He rolled his eyes. "What did you think of my personality?"

I smiled to myself, remembering his first words to me, replaying in my head how he slammed the money onto the counter without looking back. What an asshole.

"You were such an ass to me." I decided to say truthfully. "I didn't like you until later on."

Mason shook his head. "I know, I think I thought I was being cool but it wasn't at all. I'm really sorry."

"No worries, it all worked out didn't it?" I inched closer to him for what must've been the hundredth time, signaling to him that I was ready for another kiss.

Instead of just kissing me, Mason wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling my whole body closer towards him. I squealed as his fingers dug into my sides, tickling me unintentionally.

"We should get going before Adam starts trashing my apartment." He said after gently kissing me on my lips, then my nose, and then my forehead.

I could get used to this.

"Look who's back Milo!" We heard Adam as Mason's keys jingled in the lock of the door.

We walked into Mason's apartment to find Adam sprawled out on the couch and Milo already at Mason's feet, clearly excited to see him.

"How was it, lovebirds?" Adam asked with a sly look on his face.

"It was great." I responded before Mason could even get the chance to complain about running out of gas. "We had lots of fun. Right Mason?"

"Right." He gave me a funny look, clearly itching to scold his friend for not filling up the gas tank. In my opinion it was Mason's fault for not even checking the meter.

"So should I start getting fitted for a tux now? Or do I need to rent one short notice for the wedding?" Adam joked.

Mason and I rolled our eyes at each other.

"I think you definitely wait on that." Mason replied. "You do look great in a tux, though."

Once Adam said goodnight and took his car home, Mason turned to me and wrapped his arms around my waist. The butterflies in my stomach made me feel like I was in high school all over again, but better.

"Thanks for a great night." I said.

"I don't really want it to be over." He confessed, avoiding eye contact as he spoke.

"Then let me borrow some pajamas." I replied without thinking.

Mason raised his eyebrows and disappeared into his room, returning back with a pair of flannel pajamas that were way too big for me.

"How are these?"

"Perfect." I smiled, leaving him to go change in his bathroom. His apartment was much nicer than mine. We didn't talk about money very often but I could never quite figure out if he had any or not. His car was really old and beat up but his apartment seemed like the rent would be significantly more expensive than mine. I peaked around in his drawers and medicine cabinet a few times like I always did when he invited me over. When I came back Mason was scrolling through Netflix on his TV. He had lit a candle and grabbed a few blankets for the couch.

"Have you seen Queer Eye yet? My mom won't stop talking about it." Mason asked as I plopped myself down onto the couch next to him.

"No, but it sounds like something I would like." I shrugged. What a mistake. The next thing we knew, we were done with the first season and it was almost morning. The show was so incredible, and I couldn't decide if I even wanted Mason anymore after watching Antoni for a few hours.

"Who's your favorite?" I yawned.

"I think it would be a crime to just pick one." Mason mocked me, repeating the same thing I had said earlier. "Antoni is like, gorgeous, and Tan is so classy, Karamo is beautiful, Bobby is adorbs, but Jonathan totally steals the show."

"Mockery will get you nowhere." I retorted, sticking me tongue out at him.

"Oh no?" He challenged. "So where am I now then?"

"Now you're in the way of me getting any sleep." I said.

Mason smiled in defeat, standing up and reaching his hands out for mine.

"I should go." I sighed, dreading the walk back to my apartment at such a late hour although I knew Mason wouldn't let me walk it alone.

"You can sleep in my bed. It's too late to be walking around the city." Mason said, adding "Don't worry, I'll sleep out here with Milo and the fab five."

"Okay." I yawned. He led me into his bedroom and I threw myself into his cozy bed.

"Goodnight Iris." He leaned down over me and kissed my forehead as I closed my eyes.

"Thank you for a perfect day." I whispered before Mason closed the door behind him.

As the door closed, I took in a deep breath. Mason's sheets smelled exactly like he did, something I couldn't really describe. I allowed myself to play the night over in my head. From our first kiss and piggy back ride, to the view at the park and our Netflix binge, the night couldn't have been better in my eyes.

I found myself craving more of Mason. It probably hadn't even been ten minutes since he'd left the room but I didn't want to be apart. Not now.

Next thing I knew I was pushing the covers away from me as I swung my legs out to the floor. I tiptoed to the door and turned the handle as slowly as I could. As it opened I heard a shift come from the direction of the couch.

"Are you okay Iris?" Mason asked.

I nodded, lost for words for the first time with him. I didn't quite know how to say I wanted him to sleep in the bed with me.

"I-I" I stuttered.

"What's wrong?" He rushed over to me.

Instead of responding I grabbed his hand and led him into the room and back into bed.

This time I scooted over so he could have the side I had tried to sleep in moments ago.

"I couldn't sleep." I finally said.

Mason brushed my hair away from my face and wrapped his arm around my waist. I allowed him to pull me significantly closer to him so that our bodies were practically glued to each other.

"Close your eyes." He instructed.

"They're closed." I said.

"Good. Sweet dreams, beautiful girl."