1 //Jemma//

I shift my weight from one leg to another as I stand in a queue with Cas and Rose. Today is the day that we are going to be flying from our home town of London all the way to California. It’s the beginning of the summer there, so as soon as summer is over I’ll be starting medical school at Stanford. It’s pretty far from the flat we are renting in Los Angeles, but I will be staying in the dorms until I’ve finished my schooling. Rose also has something waiting for her at the end of summer- a contract with a record label. She’s an incredible singer, I’m surprised she wasn’t noticed back when we were thirteen. Cas is moving with us to California for a fresh start. She doesn’t really have what she wants to do figured out yet, so she’s hoping LA might hold some answers. I snap out of my daze when I hear the lady at the booth ask for my ticket.

  “Oh, sorry, here it is.” I say as I hand her my ticket with shaking hands. I’ve never been the biggest fan of flying.

  “This is so exciting!” Cas squeals as she skips down the hallway leading to the plane. “What do you think America will be like? I hope there will be cute guys!” We all laugh. None of us have ever had a serious relationship, so hopefully some American boys will be boyfriend material. We all board the plane and find our seats. Cas has already figured out how to work the television set attached to the seat in front of her, and Rose is looking at her phone, most likely tweeting about America, or 5 Seconds of Summer, an Australian band all of us are obsessed with.

  “Do you think 5SOS will have a show in Los Angeles?” She questions excitedly.

  “I hope so.” Cas and I say in sync. “Jemma! Twins!” She says excitedly, and I laugh. I put in my headphones in and turn on my music, hoping it will make the flight last longer. We have a connection in New York, and then we’ll fly straight to LA from there. I just hope it will all be over soon.

/ / /

  I rub my eyes as I feel the plane wheels touch down in New York. Cas and Rose are both still sound asleep, so I shake them awake. We grab our luggage from the overhead compartment and slowly make our way out of the plane. We get to the gate that our plane to Los Angeles is in, and sit down. Before I know it, we’ve already boarded the plane and the wheels are leaving the ground. I try to keep my eyes open to look out the window, but sleep wins the fight. After a few hours, I wake up to see city lights on the distant ground below us. I get lost in the view, and suddenly we have landed. I didn’t realize it, but both Cas and Rose had woken up. All of us are extremely tired, so we say little words as we leave plane and go through customs. We stumble out of the airport on tired feet and hail a cab. I glance at the neon signs as we drive through the city, taking it all in. We quickly arrive at our flat, and I struggle to open the door in the dark, but finally the key finds it place in the door. We all enter the flat, and when I turn on the light, Cas lets out a small laugh. At first I wonder why there’s a random couch in the living room and no other furniture in the flat, but then I realize- the truck delivering our furniture comes tomorrow. We must have forgotten the time difference and didn’t realize we were ordering the furniture to come tomorrow instead of today. Rose catches on to Cas’ laugh, and I slowly join. I guess we’ll be sleeping on the couch tonight.